Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 DR 5MT ratios ??

I have the main shafts of two boxes side by side on some cardboard

Looking at the cogs to line up with hi lo counter shaft cogs I have on std dr box 19 and 25 teeth

My hybrid has 25 and 22

My std 5MT DR is from a 92 wagon. Teeth count

First 11. Hybrid 11

Reverse 12. Hybrid 12

Second 18. Hybrid 19

Third 29. Hybrid 30

Fourth 34. Hybrid 36

Fifth 39. Hybrid 41

Both have 3.7:1 diffs

Anyone know how to figure ratio of each cog for the two shafts?

Gear ratios are a lot like fractions/imperial sizes.

from memory driven gear divided by drive gear. First should be 3.454:1  - it's been a few years since I've looked into it so that could be wrong (so it'll be 3.545 if I'm wrong above).

have fun. I love working on/with gearboxes. 

Cheers

Bennie

I like your handle ausubaru92. No idea where you got that from ;)

Next thing iI guess I need to count teeth on the other side.... coming up

I've done gearbox repairs and rebuilds before Subaru 4WD 4MT put me off. It is better notneeding to drive gearbox the next day ;)

Thought I'd compare the innards of my hybrid 5MT DR AWD EA82 box with standard box also in bits

The first Brumby box I took apart I needed the jigsaw to get right size socket inside !! Ally swarf everywhere.

Balls n springs pop out unexpectedly. Nightmare. Second box I managed without jigsaw.

Very tricky sorting pics on this tablet, but think I got some numbers in there to match text in first post.

Also found three different size and coloured Speedo drive cogs. Black, blue and white (gone yellow)

The white on is smallest diamond to match the larger diameter that drives it via the shaft

So what exactly are we trying to work out here?

You're comparing two turbo box ratios that are AWD and pt4wd respectively? Or are you comparing the turbo AWD box ratios to the NA pt4wd box?

i hope you're not thinking of mis-matching top and bottom gear sets to get a desired set of ratios. 

For the EA AWD box this is achieved using phase1 EJ AWD gear sets as I'm sure you're already aware of.

Cheers

Bennie

I was just comparing visually. Huh, and even that is not gonna reveal that the EA AWD drive pinion bearing ID is one mm different to that of the EA PT 5MT DR !

The parts cat revealed that!

Best way for me to compare seeing them side by side

I sort of worked out that this AWD dual range EA82 box has the typical hardly noticeable low range 19 and20 teeth on the counter gears. EA low range has 19 and 23 teeth

Not intending to swap - get into deeper poo than I am in!!