Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 DR 5MT front seal renew

An impossible task to replace oil seal on the EA81 4MT DR input shaft without full tear down or break something

Looking at the EA82 DR box it looks like the input shaft oil seal and the large O ring can be renewed from the front of the box and not full tear down

Nothing in the manuals. Anyone done front seals from within the bell housing ?

There was adiscussion on fast paced for the moment media where someone had good advice the seal can be done without teardown on EA81 box. Topic was rightly sorted

Aha. Tap that theory on its head early. 

Renewing the seal and of course the practice run went well with spare box input shaft slip out of housing. Real thing wants me to go visit a press :(

The input shaft shouldn't just slip out of the housing. From memory there's a big circlip holding te bearing in place, this should require some light tapping to remove it from the housing. If it slides out I'd suspect there's something wrong.

Same for the input shaft and bearing, this needs to be tapped out or pressed out. I've always managed to do it with a mallet and flat end punch.

Cheers

Bennie

Years since been inside the 4MT but think it does have a circlip holding it back AND people have broken input shaft bearing housing getting it out !

EA PT 4WD 5MT have internal circlip but guess such an interference fit things won't come out easy and yeah that tricky little oil splash guard would not jump back into place. Just got it in, two hands and me nose to guide the dual range selector shaft :)