Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im thinking of putting a h6 in my 96 impreza. I went an looked at a 02 ll bean for sale and I knew that it didn't run before I took a look at it. I was told it just stalled and wouldn't start. I figured the fuel pump went bad or the o ring in the gas tank. So when I looked at it, it cranks but doesn't sound like it's got any compression. It cranks over like a 4 cylinder with bad timing belt. Is it possible the chain broke or something. I thought they lasted the life of the engine. Thanks for any help. 

I never thought of those going bad. I just figured that those wouldn't go bad either. I think I read those are interference engines so if the tensioner or water pump went bad it probably  took out some valves too. I passed on getting the car because changing the heads on a ez30 is quite a job and I have no place to do that. They said  If they don't sell it they'll part it out and said I can get whatever I want off it cheap. 

14 hours ago, brentlysubaru said:

I never thought of those going bad. I just figured that those wouldn't go bad either. I think I read those are interference engines so if the tensioner or water pump went bad it probably  took out some valves too. I passed on getting the car because changing the heads on a ez30 is quite a job and I have no place to do that. They said  If they don't sell it they'll part it out and said I can get whatever I want off it cheap. 

Well, being that they're chains, when the tensioner goes weak, the chain will jump time, but not break. So it's completely possible that it didn't damage anything else.

That said, opening the timing cover alone is a fairly big job. You can get low mileage JDM engines for less than $1000.

yeah i'd walk. 

the tensioners are fairly reliable and not problematic unless oil is neglected.  they are supplied by oil, if the oil isn't changed frequently they'll get gummed up and stick, otherwise they're reliable.  but now that these engines and cars with them are going through multiple owners, in the rust belt, and are nearly worthless, the oil level, and change intervals, routinely get ignored. 

• Thanks 1

Well they decided to part the car out and I'm going to get a bunch of stuff off it that won't come with a used engine ac compressor, alt,ps pump, exhaust,rad and probably a few other things. I'm going to try to see if it starts with starting fluid just out of curiosity. Anything else that I should get for the swap? 

5 speeds are what most people do. 

Automatics are harder because the TCU for the trans wants the original type of data signals.  5 speed doesn't need any of that. 
For what you're doing, the TCU is going to want the original 4 cylinder TPS and engine data....not the H6 TPS/RPM data.  I'm unfamiliar with how that shakes out but I think that might be a contentious issue for that swap. 

Could you also install the H6 trans and TCU? 
If it's a VDC model you'd get VTD and the ECU and TCU would be happy talking to each other.  Not sure where the H6's pick up their wheel speeds from though - need to check that.

I was kind of thinking of using the trans as well. I figured while I was weeding out the engine wiring I would see how intertwined the trans wiring was with the the ECU. It wouldn't be too hard to change the trans as well. I think I can use a impreza or 4cyl legacy trans if I don't get a h6 trans. I was trying to stay away from the vdc because I read it was a pita and also a lot of extra wiring.