Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1977 wagon, basic mods?

I'll preface this by saying I have an 86 BRAT with an EJ22 swap, 5 speed D/R, and the crossmember and front/rear suspension from an EA82 car. I'm no stranger to older Subarus, but I've never had a 1st gen.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1977 wagon this weekend. It doesn't run but the body is straight, the interior is good, and there's minimal rust, so I think I'm going to go for it. I don't want to do anything crazy like I have with my BRAT, I'd just like to make it a nice clean driver / weekend car. 

I'm thinking an EA81 with the Weber carb would be a good route for me to go, engine wise. Does that just drop in to this chassis? I still have the original 4 speed from my BRAT, is there any sense in using that instead of the 1977 4-speed?

I have all the parts to do a rear disc brake conversion, I was collecting it for my BRAT but I might put it on the wagon instead. Can I do that on the 1st gen car as easily as the 2nd gen, where you basically just unbolt the old hubs and bolt on the new hubs and rotors?

I figure I'll do new ball joints, tie rods, and struts/shocks. Is there any simple upgrade I can do here or should I just order basic replacement shocks?

Any other common upgrades for the 1st gen that I may want to think about while I have it apart?

You'll find the EA71 with a Weber to be quite satisfactory for a weekend hobby car.

They rev higher and quicker than the EA81, and are ultra-dependable.

It probably just needs carb work and/or fuel pump to get running anyway, unless someone really abused it.

Not sure about finding replacement shocks/struts, but the factory units last a long, long time. Unless the shafts have gotten rusty and destroyed the seals, they will work just fine.

Be sure to post up some pics when you pick her up, and congrats on your find!

Well I decided to bring the wagon home! Now to see what it takes to get it back on the road.

Also I now realize there's another forum for older-than-1980 Subarus. Sorry for posting in the wrong one, I'll move future posts on this car into there.

DSC_2388_sm.jpg

DSC_2386_sm.jpg

DSC_2387_sm.jpg

Edited by musubk