Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright, I've seen a few disparate threads on this and I'm wondering what others have done or dare to do.....

2000 Subaru Forester. Horrible Fuel Filler Neck (as usual) Shut Off Valve is rusted to a pile of dust and I can't get one until Monday....also it's $45...

Let's brainstorm....Is it possible to go without and plug the hole on the filer neck?

I've heard of people putting a U shaped piece of hose over the two lines that would go to the Shut Off Valve to block those off, but no reports on what happened....

Has anyone ever done something like this or would you dare to?

Shut Off Valve just allows the tank to build pressure in order to not over fill tank right? So we just need to build some pressure in the tank?

I'm heading to the scrap yard to search for one right now, but I'll check back soon. Just tell me I can delete the damn thing ya'll. gimme good news.

Well you could try but...  your messing with the evap system.   Computer is not going to like it. My guess is fuel mileage will suffer , may be hard to start...  and I'm guessing but probably run like spoob. 

But hey, give it a go  you can always fix it later if your bypass mucks up.

Thanks for the reply @montana tom. I ended up finding a used one at the scrap yard and throwing it on. Looks like this question gets left un-answered for now.

Probably better not to delete it right now since we are selling the car. The next owner might not like my random deletes as much as I do. haha

If anyone has done this let us know!

Very interested in the results.

Gas pump shut off occurs at the nozzle, not the car ;)

Found this old link that explains what the car's shut-off does:

On 3/24/2012 at 7:11 AM, smiffy6four said:

The valve in question is to shut off the tank vent and the evap hose; this is required to allow pressure to build in the tank while fuelling so that the gas station nozzle will see the rising pressure, prevent overfilling of the tank and shut off the nozzle.

source: Subaru Factory Manual :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Bushwick right....if the gas station nozzle already has this safety feature then why would we need to double down with the shut off valve?

I just wonder if it's possible to not have it...it sounds like it's doing the same thing as the gas station nozzle to me....

someone correct me if I'm wrong plz.

The nozzle has the mechanical feature to shut itself off for safety reasons, like people walking away from the car. The quote I posted suggests it might interfere with nozzle's ability to self-turn off.

If you start bypassing evap lines or plugging them, you might run into other issues with drivability.

If that evap line is blocked completely (you'd have to plug it off) it won't be able to purge the tank of fumes when/as needed, and might start throwing a CEL, dunno how sensitive the systems are. If the vent is blocked on a healthy gas tank/car, as the fuel level drops, it'll create a vacuum. If the vacuum is strong enough, it can stall the engine. Dunno if the gas caps on these have vents or not.

Not my strongest area. If it's a beater or something done as a temp. bandaid fix, it's up to you. For long-term drivability, I'd just fix it.

• Like 2