Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 impreza outback rear spoiler

I finally scored both OE top & mid spoiler wings. BUT I dont have any hardware except some of the bolts for mid wing which look like I must drill thru back hatch to attach. But the top spoiler attaches how? Is there special glass anchors bonded to rear glass? to be able to bolt to? I cant find anything in the search function and cant find anything in parts breakdowns.

If i recall correctly, no. Or at least, I made one mount to the top with a hatch that didnt originally have one. I used some universal flex tape (i dont remember what its called) on both sides of the spoiler, bent them around the hatch, and tap screwed them in. Alternatively, you can find some industrial 3m tape and make that stick

link to image of what i used

-Justin

EDIT: Attached pic of actual spoiler mount for posterity.

>>Never mind - incorrect: If the top is anything like a Forester ( and it should be similar), they do screw into the top of the rear hatch. You'll maybe find a template online. Look over on rS25.com or NASIOC where the Imprezas roost. Because of the angles, I'd be very hesitant to just 'guess' on that one. The attached is for the 1st Gen Forester...not going to be the same, but might help (or not).

FORESTER SF5(98-02) Rear Spoiler Instructions SOA.pdf

Impreza Outback rear spoiler.PNG

Edited by wtdash

Thank you all, but I thought the top spoiler attaches to glass, otherwise drilling the frame  would be easy. The lower spoiler has studs and little plastic nubs to pop into holes. I just need to take out tailgate interior to install the nuts after I drill.

11 hours ago, brentlysubaru said:

The top spoiler attaches by a couple brackets that are glued on the glass. 

Copy KIMG0018.jpg

That pic is priceless! Thank you! Now I know what I must hunt for, or try to make. I tried to find them in parts break down, without success.

Your welcome. I pulled the spoilers and brackets off a car I was scrapping. Took a pic to remember how they went back on. A while back I found the brackets on a Subaru website they were around $47 a piece. I just went back to it and they didn't list then anymore. I guess that they were discontinued.