Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! I would like to know if a turbo kit is made for the Subaru er27 engine

Right now I am considering buying a 1989 Subaru xt6, the car only comes with 145hp stock and I would like to bring that up to around 200hp, I have been searching around for performance parts and  I have been unable to find any.  It has the er27 engine.  Can you guys give me a link to 1.  A turbo kit for this engine and 2.  A cat-back exhaust for this car.  Thanks!

No one makes anything for that car. You can't even get timing components anymore to perform regular maintenance. The engine wouldn't handle a turbocharger in any case - too fragile. Also can't be tuned, compression is too high, etc, etc. 

Those cars are not really daily driveable even at this point. You can't get any parts to maintain them unless you buy up a fleet of parts cars. 

Best thing to do is swap the drivetrain with a WRX. But that costs a lot of money and is entirely custom. There's no kit for that either. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

While GD is correct in all his statements, you CAN turbocharge this engine and DD this car, but you'd better have a backup vehicle ready to go.

No aftermarket of any substance exists, NOS parts supplies are quickly drying up and even the supply of parts cars is getting thin.  The longterm method of keeping these cars on the road is an EJ-swap + 5-lug swap.

• Like 1

no kits, never have been, no parts, no support. 

frankenmotor swap can get close to 180 hp.  EZ30 is 220.  EG33 is 230 and a great engine, but old now and beastly to get parts for as well. 

i daily drive an XT6 and routinely take it hundreds or thousands of miles on trips without sweating. 
i've also daily driven them since 1993 and have owned like 20 of them.