Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy Sedan fuel pump power

Won’t start. Relay clicks as it should. No action at the pump.

Just looked online and I see a diagram that shows a module ? under the Center Console. I’ve never known that to be. I’ll try to copy the diagram but I had trouble doing that before. 

There should be a short jumper harness from the pump. That short harness has been known to fail.  On a wagon you would access that harness under the seat , on a sedan the pump is under the seat so I don't know if they used the jumper harness on the sedan or not .Worth checking if its there.

Tom , I already changed out the pump on this sedan so I know where the pump is. It’s in the trunk but you can access it from the back seat like I’m doing now. 

I’ve done several fuel pumps on EJ22 wagons and sedans. I’ve also torn down a few including removal of interior. But I’ve never noticed what the online schematic showed. It says there’s some sort of module under the center console. 

This car had sat longterm with a previous owner. And when we got it from the last owner ( young guy not good with cars but his friend eventually helped some) he had tried various remedies for what really amounted to lots of rust in the gas tank. So back when we got this car (couple of years at least now) I immediately changed the fuel pump. Ran great until this happened and now I’ve swapped in  a new pump. 

Man I need to find my tester. This is a problem a guy with his own garage or even comfy place to work would have already fixed. I’m in a condo and my car is in a high traffic area so I’m trying to fix this without looking like I’m working on my car. 

Thanks very much.

i just noticed that the diagram I was viewing was for a 98 and not a 92. 

No module - as I should have already been convinced having torn through so many of these 90-94s already. 

The things I do when I get flustered. Should have looked twice or more at that diagram.

i do have an FSM which I will surely dig out and get checking connections. I know the ECU can also get corrosion at the terminals so I’ll start there. 

Found my FSM. Found a multi meter too. Have to make time now. 

Can relays click and seem good but actually be bad ? I know I can verify with my meter , but I’ll probably not have time for this car next 2-3 days. Also want to see if I can dig out any relays I may have snagged from parts cars and just switch it and see. 

At the pump the connector seems to have a slight burn/discoloration at one pin. It’s the lower left as you look into the connector. I’m pretty sure it was the black or black/red power source. It’s not a real obvious burn. But the other pins aren’t dirty like this one. 

Good old fashioned test light is my tool of choice for these kind of problems.

An incandescent one, not an LED, so you are putting a load, albeit a small one but normally enough, into the circuit.

Hook it to the battery first to get an idea of how bright it is at a full 12 volts.

It's pretty easy to tell if you have some voltage drop from the brightness, and you can verify with a meter while the light is connected.

I use ordinary paper clips with one leg straightened out to insert into connectors. 

Check across the power and ground wires at the connector, not from the power wire with your test light clipped to another ground.

• Like 1