Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL Losing power

86 GL, 5 speed with Weber carb. Been running fine until yesterday. Driving on freeway and noticed that I was slowing down. Accelerated to get back to speed but still gradually was losing power until I had it floored going up a slight grade. Tops at 3K and won't go faster than 60mph on the flat and drops to 55mph going up a slight incline. I made it home and at lower speeds it seems to drive OK  but I need to know what to check and fix before I drive it anywhere again. I hate walking! It's not the clutch. Been there, done that but it seems that somewhere in reading these forums in the past something was mentioned about plugged catalytic converters causing this or fuel filter at fuel pump. It's not making any new unusual sounds, just the flapping sound at low speeds I stated in an earlier  post I made that no one knew the cause of. Sill unsolved. I haven't done a compression check on it yet but just wanted to see what you folks could come up with as possibilities.

Edited by 3crows

+1 to what DaveT said.

Sounds like a collapsed baffle in the muffler or cat.

That'll give you a rattle and/or flapping sound and kill top end power. Try getting someone to hold a steady 2000 rpm in the driveway while you stand at the back of the car. Then shut the motor down quick. Alot of times you'll hear a hissing sound as exhaust still escapes past an exhaust blockage.

Cheers Knucklehead.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late but other things happening. So, Dave, dropped the header pipes and went out for a roaring drive. Tried to shift into third and there was no hole. Don't know what's going on now. I idled down to about 10mph before I could get into second and just limped on home. Think I've got a project. I always thought that the old Subaru tranys were bullet proof. Glad I have my old Dodge pickup in the meantime.

Edited by 3crows

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know yet. I got home and parked it for now. I think I'm getting too many balls in the air. By backhoe stopped in the middle of digging up a stump so I've been working on that. I got another '86' Soob and replaced the clutch and front axles. Now it won't start. I'm about ready to open a vein!

I started a new thread "Soob Won't Start' as Dave suggested. My backhoe is a JCB which I'm sure is the British form of revenge for losing the America Revolutionary War. I was reasonably sure it was the injector pump which is impossible to reach without pulling the radiator which took 4hrs and the fan to be able to get a puller in there. Then I read I should have checked the lift pump screen first. It was really gummed up and was probably the source of the problem since it happens before fuel goes to the injection pump. I'll get it rebuilt anyway at this point. It's nearly 30 years old. Just a bit off topic. 

Edited by 3crows

• 3 weeks later...