Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3AT modulator

I mean - I'm not really seeing the downside here..... the 3AT's haven't had any parts support for a while. Trans shop came to us for an oil pump drive shaft and one of my guys had to dig through his scrap pile to find some that the splines were only half chewed off so they could put a Loyale back on the road for some elderly couple. 

This just means more manual swaps. 

GD

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Yep, I bought some of those shafts a few years ago, knowing exactly that.  There were fewer than 10 in the country. 

Using a clutch bothers my arthritis,  so that's not an option. 

I'm with you. I have problems with my knee and can't shift well but love my '83 Brat. I must be the exception but I've never had much problem with the 3at including running one behind an EJ22 for the past 3 years. 

Rockauto says they still have 3 of them left.

36 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Yep, I bought some of those shafts a few years ago, knowing exactly that.  There were fewer than 10 in the country. 

Using a clutch bothers my arthritis,  so that's not an option. 

Thanks for the reminder :D I have that 2wd trans we talked about sitting on my garage floor if you want it, or anything off or out of it. 

Dan

Maybe time to EJ 4EAT.

It’s just the rubber diaphragm that goes bad, and they will all go bad eventually.

I don’t think it would be rocket science to cut one apart and replace the rubber, maybe even from a similar modulator, and epoxy back together.

Thinking way outside the box, maybe adapt a cable to it and hook it up to the throttle.

Last night, I didn't find them on rockauto...  I'll try again.

The 2wd, I'm starting to think it might be worth getting,  since the entire 3 speed part is the same as my 4wd ones.  Still need a couple 4wd ones ultimately though.  The diff and final reduction ratios are different. 

While I was searching for them, I saw one on the Napa website that looked similar except the threaded part was smaller od.  I could tap out the oem one and use it for an adapter.   Other idea, use a needle valve to make an adjuster, and thread that into the old base.  I shift the gears when I want them with the selector lever anyway.  They almost always upshift too soon for me.  Not sure what a fixed modulator would do / if I could find a setting that would be acceptable.