Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rod-knock on 2013 WRX... HELP!

Hi guys, so I just had a rod-knock in my 2013 WRX which really sucks and pretty expensive. I'm relatively new to cars, and I have a few things to ask of you guys.

Is there any advice on how to save money? Right now the dealership says to buy an engine and have them put it in will cost around $10,000. If you have any tips or information I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all

IMG_7110.JPG

Edited by Dustin06
better post

Uh.... that's nuts. But it's a typical dealer quote. We can do a lot better for a lot less. About $6,500 for a new engine/turbo from Subaru, and about $8,500 for new engine with upgrades like forged pistons, race bearings, larger turbo, tuning, etc.

This is fairly typical. Bring it down to Portland. I'll get you sorted. 

GD

• Like 1

21 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Probably not, it's happening more and more often.  You should read the one on subyclub while it was still up...  had a full blown back story and all.

Cheers

Bennie

Does it actually work? Sheesh. I need a new ac in my house. Should I crowd fund?

Edited to sound less dickish.

Edited by vtwinjunkie

Too bad it's not still under warranty.  The local dealer here seems to get overrun with blown BRZ/WRX engines to replace under warranty.  Sadly many of them are tuned and had after market equipment on them (both which void the warranty).  They remove all of the items before going to the dealer (hard to believe a car with 30k+ miles only has 9 key starts).

Since you have already been to a dealer I expect you won't be able to try a warranty claim anywhere else (3yr/36,000 miles?).

Definitely get GD to install a rebuilt block (or an upgraded one).  He will be less expensive and give you quality work.  I guess the issue is getting funding but I don't have any suggestions (creditcard/bank/parents?)

1 hour ago, montana tom said:

Right now your car is worth little more than scrap metal.   If your broke park it.   Other wise haul it south and get it fixed correctly.... chances are the dealer would screw it up.

They might. I've seen that too. At the least they will put it back stock which is just about the same as screwing it up. Forged pistons, Killer-B oil pickup, and a silicone turbo inlet are bare minimum in my opinion for making these reliable. And of course air pump delete. That's a given. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder