Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When driving my Subaru outback 2002 the green power light will start flashing uncontrollably and does not stop. It comes on occasionally and goes away after turning the car off and on again. I topped up the transmission fluid after realizing that it was low. I have been experiencing loss of power at times and other times the car runs great seemed to run great after I topped up the fluid and thought that was the issue. Today the light came back on again on the highway. I have also been feeling some clunking while pressing the gas peddle and releasing the gas pedal. Which I don't recall being present when I first purchased the car around 2 months ago, after I topped up the fluid that seemed to help the clunky gas pedal a fair bit but occasionally it still occurs. I've noticed the steering becoming harder at times but most of the time it seems fine. I thought maybe a failing power steering pump or something like that or maybe that's an entirely different issue. Could the power light have something to do with power steering? or does it strictly refer to the transmission? 

The car has 170,000 km. Not a lot of info online about the blinking power light. 

Any info appreciated, Thanks. 

It does seem like you could have 2-3 different problems.

clunking could be bushings, definitely check the rear bushings on the front lower control arms.

steering could be air in the power steering fluid, or maybe slipping belt or even separated craank pulley slipping?

I don't think we have that power light but I'm not sure. You are checking trans fluid while idling right? some folks forget as it's the only fluid check like that.

20 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

It does seem like you could have 2-3 different problems.

clunking could be bushings, definitely check the rear bushings on the front lower control arms.

steering could be air in the power steering fluid, or maybe slipping belt or even separated craank pulley slipping?

I don't think we have that power light but I'm not sure. You are checking trans fluid while idling right? some folks forget as it's the only fluid check like that.

I checked my power steering fluid and there looks to be some small bubbles it is not bubling a lot, is it supposed to be still just like the coolant? Could very snall bubbles cause a steering problem? 

a steady stream of bubbles might indicate a leaky o-ring on the hose adapter atop the pump or a leak past a suction hose clamp. maybe observe as a helper turns the steering wheel. Very common failure, sometimes causes a whining noise and/or a 'notchy' or 'vibrating' feeling in the steering wheel.

A rare bubble or 2 from the splash of the return line is OK.

A different type of problem can be caused by a corroded Cardan/u-joint on the steering shaft. It connects the rack to the wheel's part of the column. IT can cause a 'hard' or 'stiff' position when turning the wheel - almost always at the same 'clock' positions in the wheel's perimeter.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan