Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1977 wagon, how to lower? Wheel width?

Hi folks. I think I want to lower my 1977 4WD wagon. In the rear I can get where I want with just the torsion bar reclocking. I've been reading and I found this post, that car is roughly how low I'd like to be, so I think I'm going to follow that example and use EA82 struts with cut springs, or possibly some cheap adjustable coilover sleeves. I think I can use FWD struts instead of 4WD struts to lose a little height before I even begin cutting the springs, is that right?

My other question is, what kind of wheel width and offset can I get away with, on a car that low? I'm thinking of a 6 lug conversion with some 15x6" trailer wheels. Has anyone done aftermarket wheels on a lowered car, and can give some idea of what will fit?

Edited by musubk

Chevy luv struts and reclocking the torsion bar in the rear (also have to cut off a bit of the bump stop) and 2nd gen 2wd struts in the front with 2nd gen springs and cutting about a half coil should get you there. You probably won't even have to cut springs with a 15" rim. I'm on chevy luv struts 14" pugs with 2nd gen 2wd struts and 2nd gen brat springs (didn't cut springs).

42797010562_8a4a46d76f.jpgLake side by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Had 15x6 trailer rims on the back for a little while I was building it and needed to roll the fenders.

29973461071_b260947a78.jpgPrimed by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

• Like 1