Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 Legacy with the EJ22, auto 180 000 miles.  I just got bought the car real cheap because the water pump leaked. I changed the water pump and timing belt and idlers.  I also had to change the throttle postion sensor (used one from pick pull) because I broke it with a large prybar holding the flywheel when I took off the crankshaft pulley.  So after the timing belt job  the motor ran great  for about 20 min, while I slowly refiled the the rad.     Now for some reason when I start the engine,  it it only idles for 5 seconds and then dies.  It did throw a 1507 idle control  code at first buy not any more.  Any ideas on what to check first?  I wonder why I am not getting any codes at all on my scanner?  Seems weird that it would run fine for 20 min and then not!   I feel it should be related to something I did, but I triple checked all vacum lines and  without any codes I am lost?  I do have a 98 ej22 auto parts carts handy.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Confirm your fuel pump is putting out , also make sure your getting full voltage at battery , the fuel pump won't run past the start position if voltage is down. Pop the rear seat up and check if power is reaching the fuel pump.

Double check all your grounds.  If it idles fine for 5 seconds , I doubt that it is a vacuum / disconnected line issue.    Fuel or electric is my guess.

• Like 1

I sprayed starter fluid. It kept running and then I put my foot on the gas and held it at a high Rpm for 2 minutes, and the engine ran. When I let go of the gas she stumbles and stalls. I think the fuel pump is good, and voltage at battery is good (new battery).  Also still no codes. Checked all vacum lines again, looked good. I dont know how to check for good grounds.  Is it possible the timing belt skipped a few teeth? I have done a couple of timing belt jobs and never had an issue. This has me stumped.

never hurts to double check the timing.. pull the outer covers, line up your cam marks.. if it is out of time, it should be pretty obvious at the cams.

for the rest, yeah.. it can be a pain to figure things out with nothing to point you somewhere.

you said you had to swap the throttle position sensor? any way to try a different one, just to rule that out?

Just lining up the cams may not be enough.  I brought a 96 2.2 in the shop last week for a timing belt set.    Both cams lined up perfect ... at the crank it was almost at 1 o'clock !    Still ran just fine ....without pulling the center cover  you would need to visually set the crank keyway at the six o'clock position to get close enough to claim the timing was sort of on.  It's worth looking at just to be sure.

Yes the tps is suspect.  If possible try another.

99 2.2 ,does it have a MAF in the fresh air intake ?   If so and you have another , swap it out. 

This kind of problem can make you go bald, ripping your hair out and banging your head against the wall. 

Any chance a connector isn't snapped all the way on / together ?  go back thru and check them all, one not quite snapped in would give you intermittent operation. 

I'd be suspect on the TPS as Montana Tom has suggested.

You say it's been swapped for a junk yard unit - was it checked prior to install?  did you adjust it properly?

The TPS can be opened up and cleaned out with some contact cleaner.  My current one on my 22 was cleaned out in 2010 - I've not touched it since it was reinstalled following the correct procedure - you'll need a multimeter and a set of feeler gauges ;)

Cheers

Bennie

I agree that the tps is the most likely culprit,  since I put one on from an EJ25.  I am not really sure I followed the correct procedure though.  What is the correct procedure to install a TPS sensor ??.  I also called my local dealer, and they told me that the the EJ22 tps sensor is specific to the ej22 and ones taken from a EJ25 will not work. I go on ebay and rock auto and they say different. The dealer said the part number is 22633AA151 or 2263AA15B.  Anyone have any experience with this.  I went to my local pick and pull and pull and could not find one from a ej22.  I would go ahead and order the 22633AA151 from ebay but am worried it will not work and I cant afford the one from the dealer.  Thanks for taking the time to read this any help is always much appreciated.

personally, I would not trust ebay as a reliable source of information.

Rockauto has also been known to be wrong before, so use caution.

As to whether or not there really is a difference, I personally do not know, but would be more inclined to think yes, there is a difference. hopefully someone else can verify

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

Get a digital copy of the workshop manual for reference to the TPS setup procedure.  Or a Haynes manual will suffice if you have access to one ;)

While subaru are Lego in general, small changes to ECU setup results in wiring differences and different sensors. Typically the rule with ECUs and sensors is that they need to be kept with the same model/year.

Cheers

Bennie