Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Outback 2002 changing transmission fluid

I have been noticing my automatic transmission is not shifting smoothly when acclerating and sometimes occasionally letting off the gas i checked my transmission fluid level and it was low about a week ago i topped it up with new transmission fluid and thought that might solve the problem. I checked the fluid again today and conpared the fluid in a paper towel New fluid vs what came off the dipstick and the fluid off the dipstick is brown and kind of cloudy should i do a transmission drain and fill? I have heard that getting a compleate flush at 170,000km might not be a good idea nd could possibly ruin the transmission. I dont have any service history on the car and the oil didnt looks so great when i changed it so i have a feeling the tranny fluid might not of been changed in a long time.

should i flush the transmission fully or do you think a sinple drain and fill would help? 

Drain > Fill

Pull the radiator trans coolant line, I use plastic tubing to run both ends into a gallon jug.

Start the Subaru, it will pump out the old nasty trans fluid.  When you have about 3/4 of a gallon turn off the engine, empty the jug, fill the trans with another gallon of fluid > Repeat until the fluid going into the jug is clean.  It usually takes about 3 gallons.

I'm sure it will be much better, then if you really want to improve your trans switch to Amsoil trans fluid.  It made a world of difference on my 2002 Impreza with 230K on it.