Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to purchase used outback

Hey all, looking to purchase my first Subaru, but know little on this brand, looking for some feedback/advice/what to look for

It's an 09 outback with the 2.5, 5 spd manual with 182k on it. Super clean car, no rust I can see, interior is in very good shape. Took it for a test drive, ran out great, wouldn't have a clue it had that kind of mileage on it. 

Are they good for 200k plus? Looking to make it my dd, 30 mile round trip to work. Anything specific to look out for on these?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Rkimes
Spelling

FWIW, the '05+ generation have a less stellar history than their predecessors, based on what I've read on here. Just a higher # of minor - .05&.10 - stuff. And they still had the potential HG issues due to the EJxxx series engine.... 

As SOA (subaru of america) got bigger their quality may have taken a hit about this time.

Maintenance history? Get the heads checked regardless,  and usually best to find a 'real' Subaru mech /tech - not a generic shop.

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

Will require head gaskets if they haven't been done or have been done with the factory gasket. 

These engine burn copious amounts of oil if they have had poor maintenance with non-synthetics. This leads to a fair number of bottom end failures.

Usually just go into this expecting to do HG's, timing belt/water pump/idlers, and radiator/hoses. If they have been done it's likely they have been done wrong or with crap parts. 

GD

• Like 1

GeneralDisorder sums up the situation really well.  I have owned a number of high milage subaru's so I want to add my 2 cents.

When a person buys a used car, he should be thinking whether the car will cost less then 10 cents/mile including major maintence.  So it's a matter of "how much does it cost?"   If the cost is $2000, then do we think that a 180K mile subaru will last 20,000 miles [ie 10 cents/mile]?  Yes, I would say that there is a good chance of that. 

But if the cost is $4,000, would there be a good chance that it will last 40,000 miles?  No, I wouldn't think so.

Does that answer the OP's question.

Thanks all for the feedback, I know Subarus are known for reliability, but as all vehicles, at some point something has to go. I'm very particular when purchasing used vehicles- maybe more luck than skill, but my last several used rides all pan out real well. @mikec03, that's a good principle, I've never heard that one before. 

Edited by Rkimes
Rewroding