Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 03 forester giving me the 2 codes for the o2 sensor. I have a 99 outback parts car. I was wondering if i could swap the exhaust system would it "Lego"  together? The plugs the same? Would the ecu be "ok" with it or the sensors give the ecu different signals between the 99 OB and the 03 forester? This is in California and i need to smog the 03 forester 

Ideally we know what codes we're discussing but if we rely on the diagnosis presented here and it is the sensors - why not just swap the sensor instead of the entire exhaust? 

quick ebay search shows the connectors are different. 

maybe you can splice the 03 forester connector onto the 99 oxygen sensors if they're the same number of wires.  

This listing suggests the sensors may be the same but have different connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bosch-OEM-Universal-4W-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-for-1998-2010-Subaru-Vehicles/380478459845?fits=Year%3A2003|Model%3AForester&epid=7005674554&hash=item5896488fc5:g:Pd4AAOSwajRZboeP

• Like 1

i would be willing to put money on them being different.

i know some people have done the "splice" thing, but it has never worked out for me - I will spend the little extra to get the right one with the appropriate connector already on it just to save the headaches.

• Like 1