Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm a poor woman who loves Subarus and wants an OB, though with all the HG tribulations I'm reading about here and other forums, I'm beginning to wonder why...

What is the price range to have a garage/Sub dealer replace a 2.5 with a 2.2 (I hope I have the terminology right) and will they even do that? 

Is it worth bothering to buy a Subie that needs that if one can't do the work yourself?

There are used Subarus that are as reliable as other used cars - ANY used car can have major problems.

Maybe if you mention your budget, and ask about a Subaru-friendly repair shop near West Hamlin , in a new thread, someone could point you to a good mechanic. Then, go have a coupla conversations; 1. How much and what is the procedure for a pre-purchase inspection if I find an OB for sale? and 2. Do you have any customers that might be looking to sell their OB soon?

The older a car is, the less important that brand's reputation is, and the more important the car's prior care and present condition become.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Zett;

Are you looking at the first generation outbacks (96-99) or second generation (00-04)  The first generation 97-99 2.5 double cam motor can have serious HG issues, requiring instant attention / repair.  The second generation is MUCH more forgiving about head gaskets.  2000 and up subi's will need their head gaskets changed at some point after 150,000 miles or so. However they just drip... oil and antifreeze ... directly on your catalytic so you'll smell it BUT, they are slow drips easily monitored and easy to keep topped up, literally for years if you don't mind the smell.   It gives you time to save up for the job.   

Look around your area for a yard filled with Subaru's ,They will be Subaru people...   stop in and ask where they have their work done. You may have to travel some but I'm sure there will be a Subaru specialty repair shop.  After all W.V. has mountains and snow thats where Subi's Shine!

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any Subaru shop will be able to do a 2.2 swap - provided they can find an engine. Another alternative is to swap the pistons in the 25D to the 251 piston and then use the 255/257 head gasket. Cost is about $3500 for piston swap, skirt knurling, HG's, complete timing, all gaskets and seals, etc. 2.2 swap can come in around $2000 or so if you can find one. It's not my preferred way to fix those cars though. The 251 bottom end or pistons will mate up with the 25D heads nicely and resolves the HG issue. 

GD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, montana tom said:

Hi Zett;

The second generation is MUCH more forgiving about head gaskets.  2000 and up subi's will need their head gaskets changed at some point after 150,000 miles or so. However they just drip... oil and antifreeze ... directly on your catalytic so you'll smell it BUT, they are slow drips easily monitored and easy to keep topped up, literally for years if you don't mind the smell.   It gives you time to save up for the job.   

This 100%.

My 2005 outback has 120k miles on the clock. Purchased with 97k miles 3 years ago it has been reliable and trouble free aside from general maintenance. The head gaskets are seeping ever so slightly but no oil ever makes it to the ground and it doesn't burn a drop (that I can notice) 

My 2005 legacy has 170k on the clock. Purchased a few weeks ago and the underside of the engine looks the same as my outback hahaha.

I haven't had it long enough to monitor the leak yet but it seems to be doing ok as well. 

I may do the head gaskets on one and not the other and just see how long it goes with constant monitoring but monitoring seems to be the key. As long as the engine has the oil it needs to lubricate itself it will just keep going (along with fuel compression and spark)...

• Like 1

I have a 2002 Forester with the 2.5 that has just over 240,500 miles on it now.. it did have the headgaskets done long before I got it (were done around 180K according to the carfax report) I bought it at 206K. Car runs great.

With good care and maintenance they can go a long time, making them quite economical vehicles.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, montana tom said:

Hi Zett;

Are you looking at the first generation outbacks (96-99) or second generation (00-04)  The first generation 97-99 2.5 double cam motor can have serious HG issues, requiring instant attention / repair.  The second generation is MUCH more forgiving about head gaskets.  2000 and up subi's will need their head gaskets changed at some point after 150,000 miles or so. However they just drip... oil and antifreeze ... directly on your catalytic so you'll smell it BUT, they are slow drips easily monitored and easy to keep topped up, literally for years if you don't mind the smell.   It gives you time to save up for the job.   

Look around your area for a yard filled with Subaru's ,They will be Subaru people...   stop in and ask where they have their work done. You may have to travel some but I'm sure there will be a Subaru specialty repair shop.  After all W.V. has mountains and snow thats where Subi's Shine!

I was thinking second gen onwards.  I was hoping to eventually get 3K to 4k saved up. If my income/bill situation stays the same, I should have that saved by end of summer. I've seen 2000s Subs in that range online. My worry is paying that much for a not-completely-ancient (merely old) vehicle and having to put another 3k soon after.  I've "babied" slow oil leaks in previous vehicles, I'm used to that kind of monitoring.

don't go just by what you see online.. actively look around - we found my 2002 Forester locally (other half saw it while he was working) and we got it for $1400 cash.

Being in Northern Wisconsin this car is in very good shape for its age. The picture was taken shortly after I got it 2 years ago

light wheels.jpg

• Like 2

I want to thank everyone who has replied to me so far.  I've calmed down some about the HG issue.  I see that I need to do a lot more research; I don't think a Subaru-familiar mechanic will be easy to find around here (other than at a dealership) but I'm going to try.  There's finally starting to be several Subs seen on the road around here, but they all look new/newish.  There's this one guy who has an older Forester; next time I see him I'm going to ask him who does his work. 

• Like 2

Hi Zett; 

With 3-4 thousand to spend at the end of the summer you should be able to find a REBORN outback (00-04 )with new head gaskets,seals ,timing components, and an all over check up on brakes, suspension.  I sell them in that condition all the time , prices run 2800-4500 on most of them. 

Only as a last resort should you talk to a dealership.  Do not buy a car from them.The mechanics in back might be who to talk to not a salesman.  They may know of a subaru shop OR one of them might run a sideline mechanic business. 

I see Huntington is not to far away and Charleston is sort of nearby.  Watch Craigs list.  I advertise all my reborn Subi's on C.R.  Some one there may be doing the same thing as me. 

Do not bat an eye at 200,000 miles on the odometer.  Most of the ones I sell  are over 200,000 .   My personal vehicle is a 2000 5 speed it currently has 298,000 miles , the wife's is a 2001 with 254,000 miles , both run strong and are completely reliable. 

Included a photo of a 2003 obw with 225,000 on the odometer.  New h.g. timing components ,seals , front and rear brakes, new axle ,new rear wheel bearing , and more . Its selling this Thursday for $4500.     I've got a 2000 limited here with 216,000 for $ 3700.  These cars are out there, however I do not know about rust issues in your neck of the woods. Here in the NW we have little to no rust out issues.  Beware a badly rusted car!

DSCN0361.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I talked to the guy that I see all the time at the local burger joint who has a Subaru.  Right off the bat he gave me the name of a guy who works on Subarus (who was also recommended by a local garage that has a good reputation).  I found this man (he has a junkyard/body shop) and he has 4 Subs (that I saw) in various stages of repair at the moment.  It was raining on us and I was on my way home from the vet with my cat, so I didn't talk to him long, but he sounds like Montana Tom upthread.  He had a beautiful silver OB in the repair bay he's asking 3500 for right now - so assuming he can keep Subs in stock, I should be good to go once I have the money saved up.

My neighbors had bought a fixed up non-Subaru from this guy and it's been a jewel of a car - I have to borrow it sometimes when my#$^*% truck tears up.  I had been peeking at this guy's place when I would drive by, but I didn't see any Subies on his lot.  Thank you all for the push to go up to people and ask...who knew I'd find someone this close by and so easily? Of course I will carefully check over any car he has for sale...but I have faith in the 'hillbilly grapevine" especially when it comes to the guys at the burger joint...I've been talking to them off and on for the last year or so; they strike me as the kind of fellas that would look out for a woman in need of help and not lie to me about stuff.  If they say he's good, I believe them.

• Like 5

Yes Zett; Congratulations !!! 

I knew you would locate Subaru People nearby,   we are everywhere!  Hiding in the bushes... Subaru's go there, fords get stuck...

Sounds like you found just the right shop nearby .  I knew there would be one. Be sure to post later in the summer with pictures of your new outback!

As Heartless said, WELCOME to the family ! (even if !)

• Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, montana tom said:

Yes Zett; Congratulations !!! 

I knew you would locate Subaru People nearby,   we are everywhere!  Hiding in the bushes... Subaru's go there, fords get stuck...

Sounds like you found just the right shop nearby .  I knew there would be one. Be sure to post later in the summer with pictures of your new outback!

As Heartless said, WELCOME to the family ! (even if !)

Subaru's go there, fords get stuck.  That made me laugh!  I do feel like I'm already in the family.  Heh.  I do have one bit of Subie history, I had a (I think) 89-90 Loyale wagon over 10 years ago, and even though this car was pre-AWD, I did love that car.  It was so handy.  Much easier for a short woman to load than a pickup truck.  I drove it about a year or two then sold it to my aforementioned neighbors very cheap and they drove it for another year or so. 

• Like 2

my first Subaru was an 89 GL wagon (basically the same as the Loyale), 5spd, FWD - I paid all of $150 for that car (it needed a clutch and a few other items) and I drove it for 8 years!

She had 150K miles when I got her, and was pushing 285K miles when she was finally permanently retired due to serious rust issues - motor still started first time, every time, and ran strong. It was because of that car that I found this group - way back in 2001, and they have helped me many times over the years to keep my Subarus going. I try to pay that back by helping others where I can.

So yeah, this is kind of like a family. =)

• Like 3