Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Break booster causing irratic idle?

Just bought 96 legacy,173,000 miles, had a few things wrong, setting codes. Ran solid and smooth until it starts cutting out at random RPM/ load... Will still run and idle smooth, until it decides to start cutting out, then followed by uniform surging at idle. Doesn’t want to die, just Erving at idle.Replaced knock sensor and PCV, cleaned MAF, new plugs/wires/ fuel filter and pump. Seafoamed fuel and throttle body, to try to rule out all injectors being grimy. 

So when this condition is set, and irratic idle is happening, I can rapidly press the break pedal, and idle will smooth out. So I tested booster and booster check valve, and they seem to be in order as far as check valve operates in one way flow and booster checks with pressing pedal during engine running/off pressures on pedal and sinking when engine is turned on....

Was suspecting vacuum leak anyway, and thought booster diaphragm was ruptured because when pumping breaks smoothed our idle. But can’t confirm bad booster.

Last codes after the replaced parts are 0100 and 0505, and catalyst, lean fuel, and O2....

anyone like the looks of this? 

Hey, e, you getting sick of fixing these old subies?

e: nope

but more info......

when this condition is NOT happening, you can balence a marble on the stick shift. Smooth as silk. Plenty of power and hopes for another 80,000..........

Wouldn’t those be setting codes, though? I was going to clean the IAC, but am finding conflicting advice on it online. Some show how to do it and have gasket handy, some are adamantly NO WAY, dealer only..........

It seems coil, injectors, sensors and stuff that throws a code, I’m back-burnering... 

evrything i replaced, except probably the fuel pump, needed to be replaced anyway. 

It was coding for MAF until I cleaned it. It’s not coming up anymore...

Pick up another MAF if you can, preferably a known good one(borrow a friends) or wrecking yard, do not buy a china knockoff.  MAF are famous for slowly going bad in that year group.  Seems a solder joint inside makes intermittent contact.  

They don't always throw a code .

• Like 1

have you scanned for pending codes?

it may be necessary to get live data - ELM327 BT adapters are cheap, and a smartphone with the Torque free app can go a long way towards getting sensor data that 'might' point to a problem.

check your brake lights in case there's something weird with the bulbs or corrosion in the sockets - the lights put a drain on the alternator when you hit the brake pedal.....?

there a lot of possibles sources for intermittent problems. You might examine ground connections, battery terminals, monitor voltage from the alt. and compare when it's running good vs bad....

youm ight try a battery disconnect reset - if the car has the same symptoms after that, I doubt a:f -related sensors are bad. The ECU is forced to start and run the car using the factory initial settings until data is gathered from the sensors. Could be something more physical; dropped valve, vacuum leak, ...?.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

If I disconnect booster hose, or PCV hose, and partially plug fitting at throttle body with thumb, allowing unmetered air, it idles smooth as silk. Thinking the air filter was clogged, I removed it, no change. Disconnecting MAF will stall motor, but on restarting, surging idle remains, slightly less RPM. When plugging MAF back in, RPMs pick back up, surging idle remains. 

Am I wrong in thinking bad O2 will send a consistent bad/ default signal and not cause surging idle?

Changed 02. Nothing changed. Rescanned codes, got p0100, p0133pd

mil on, 

monitrs

catlyst

02 snsr 

O2 htr 

went to test MAF,, voltage too low to start test.

test and replaced battery, 

test MAF, tested ok.

drove great! For 20 minutes...

Now back to same surging idle, seems like brakes are partly engaged? Doesn’t roll, clutch in, freely.....

interesting tidbit for you..

one code being set can set off a whole sequence of other codes...

start by addressing the FIRST code listed when reading the codes.. fix that. reset codes, see what comes back

then fix the next FIRST code, reset, see what comes back... repeat as needed.

Edited by heartless
spelling
  • Like 1

That’s what I’m shooting for. P0100 MAF is likely a vacuum leak, having visually inspected connector and observing proper voltage at idle and uniform increase with opening of throttle plate. 

Oddly enough, P0133, as I’ve just replaced O2, is also likely a vacuum leak or bad MAF which has been tested, and likely also a vacuum leak.

so when I disconnect ANY vacuum from throttle body the idle smooths right out. Disconnecting the fuel pressure regulator smooths out idle until you plug hose going to TB, and closing that “vacuum leak” , and it goes right back to surging idle. Leaving fuel pressure regulator branch of vacuum connected, but disconnecting down stream switch also smooths out idle.. unless you plug the vacuum line, again surging idle.

disconnecting the vent tube running from driver’s side head to air intake, after the MAF, will even out idle. Disconnecting brake vacuum line smooths out idle but idles high. I can partially plug fitting at intake manifold and drop RPM to a smooth idle.

so, I’m trying to fix a vacuum leak when creating a vacuum leak seems to work. 

Is it just a rich fuel mixture that the unmetered air is helping to burn up? Why so rich? MAF and back to a vacuum leak that I kind-a want?

everything I read and from past subie experience tells me p0100 isn’t about a bad MAF... which I tested...

id love to hear ideas for tests, I don’t have the Bluetooth reader.. just voltmeter.....

I have absolutely considered leaky injectors. There is no code being generated for individual cylinder so I would have to assume they all leak uniformly, though it doesn’t rough idle, it is a surging. Creating vacuum leak on either side of intake manifold smooths out idle. This also suggests to me it is a uniform issue with all injectors, if this is the case. I’m not wanting to risk breakage by removing them. Anyway to test this theory with injectors in place?

I’m at the shop, they have confirmed all my tests for sensors, including MAF being within specs, also cannot find vacuum leak, are pretty confident an exhaust leak wouldn’t cause this (I’m probably going to check this later on cool exhaust with soap water), and are also baffled that creating a vacuum leak evens out idle, the shop owner walked away at that point...

I’m trying to find out if the computer is shot, they said they have no test for ECM(?) 

Any ideas?

in the meantime, I’m trying to reset computer by disconnecting battery, and try relearn....

thanks all. Hope to close this thread...

I think you recommended that, I’ve done it, no gas in line, no gas dripping out unplugged, 

BUT when I disconnect that, or ANY vacuum line, the idle evens out.

the mechanic didn’t believe when this happened at shop this morning. 

But when I plug fuel pressure back in, or any other line, motor goes to extremely low idle then directly to surge...