Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, not sure on a new one but our 2001 routinely gets loaded full of rocks ,seats down. Then we hook a 4 x 6 covered trailer  also stuffed full of chairs and show tents and much more rock products.  We then tow it literally 100's of miles one way to a show at 70 mph.   Follows us home like a puppy.  

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 1

According to Subaru, towing above 1500 lb I think requires trailer brakes. With a max towing capability of 2500 lbs. 

Can you tow 2500 lb without trailer brakes? Sure. Is it the safest and best option out there. No. 

If you do decide to tow on the regular with that car make sure to have the transmission fluid (it is a CVT transmission be aware) flushed or serviced every 20k (as per Subaru) due to excess heat and abuse on the transmission during towing. 

13 hours ago, montana tom said:

Well, not sure on a new one but our 2001 routinely gets loaded full of rocks ,seats down. Then we hook a 4 x 6 covered trailer  also stuffed full of chairs and show tents and much more rock products.  We then tow it literally 100's of miles one way to a show at 70 mph.   Follows us home like a puppy.  

Tom, ever done an Intergem show or a G&M show hosted by Arlington or FT.Worth G&M clubs?

just wondering if I may have seen you at a show.

I dont have an outback, so take this with a grain of salt. 

On my wife's Forester (2009, 2.5, automagic), we loaded it with a 6x12' trailer and..... it was not happy about it. Did it tow it? Sure - but it squatted. and we got about 12-15mpg driving from florida to denver. I also towed my '98 Golf on the Forester from Atlanta to Jacksonville, fl with just a 2-wheel dolly and got about the same results. 

That said, if i recall, Outback's have stiffer springs? 

things to keep in mind is Gross Weight, Vs Net. is it 2500lbs wet/loaded? 

-Justin 

i towed with my 1st and 2nd gen 2.0 legacies 5MT euro model my motorocycle on a trailer with quite a bit of other gear on (gazebo, etc) while car was fully loaded, all up and down italy no problem, but that's maybe 1200 pounds total towed, 2500 doesnt sound too safe.

whatever you decide, beyond total weight what's really critical is weight on the hook. try to balance load in the trailer so you have no more than 200 lbs resting on it.

If that 2500 lbs is what the trailer says it weights you better add another 1000 lbs to it after you fill it up with water, propane, food, gear, and what ever else you put into it.   Those weights are dry weights before anything goes into them. 

It is best to load it down then go to a truck stop or somewhere that has a scale to see just how much they weigh. 

Overheating is the ubiquitous over-taxed Subaru weak point when towing across multiple model's/decades with AT/MT. 

It's largely dependent on ambient temp/humidity and grade. 

If you're towing in flat land and zero degrees you can tow well over the limits.  I'm not saying it's safe or wise I'm just saying it'll do it. 

If you're traversing steep grade mountain passes in high humidity and 100 degrees with a heavy load/poor aerodynamics, you can plan on it overheating.

• Like 2