Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 outback wagon, When I use the auto down feature the window goes down, then up and down about 1/8 inch until it stops, then it will not work at all for a few minutes. If I roll the window down by myself, it will also do this at the very bottom of the travel. 

Why is it doing this, and how do I fix it? is it the regulator or the switch in the door, or am I missing something else?

Thanks

whynot,

Here's the factory service manual for 1999, and its a FREE download. Download it (10 minutes) and save it and do some research through the electrical section under windows as well as the diagnostics section and see if your answers are there. Over the years I've done this so many times that I just can't involve myself as much as I used to. Your answers may well be there somewhere, but You'll have to do the work. Good Luck!

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/1999/Service%20Manual/

Gene

That. is. weird.

Sounds like it's mis-aligned in there somewhere and it's 'bouncing off' the bottom 'stop' setting'. It then stops  - maybe a self-reset  or similar - to keep from burning out the motor.

Pulling the inner door panel isn't too tough and you might be able to see what's going on.

On some cars I think the 'stop' for auto-down is actually a current sensor, it senses the motor has stalled and it disconnects power, and unlatches the power.

My '03 outback and '05 forester both had/have auto-down, with no sensors anywhere to detect window position.

So auto-down weirdness in those cases could be abnormally high motor current.

Where is the sensor at? motor or switch or somewhere else? It goes down fine, all of the way. then it comes back up 1/4 inch and back down several times, then stops and will not work for about 1 minute. 

You need to find the electric window auto control box. 

In older subi's (MY/L series) it's a rectangular black box mounted above the bonnet release handle. I'm not up with where it's located on newer models but that's what I'd be looking at first. 

Swap in a known good working unit and see if the same behaviour occurs.

or you could have an issue with the motor itself, but this seems unlikely to me.

Also ensure the switch is clean without any foreign material interfering with it's operation or electrical signals. 

Cheers

Bennie

• 1 month later...

I could not find anything obviously wrong with this. The window is in the track, and looks like it is moving fine, I also could not find a box above the fuse box or the hood release for the window control box. Found some relays there, but no control box. did not see a box in the wiring diagram but I am new to those for a subaru.