Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 impreza outback wagon luggage rack

The paint shop asked me to remove the cross bars for them, & I said no problem. Now I see maybe a mistake saying that. I'm attempting to remove 8 machine screws holding cross members to rails. got 3 out so far. Screws seem to be stainless steel approx 6mm dia and approx 25 mm long. All broke loose but just spin. The 3 I did get out look as if they might be screwed into a steel plate? The center of screw has a semi smooth center of rust caked in threads. Hopefully if I get the rest of screws out, do the cross pieces just lift off? I have screws out on one side & it doesn't want to come off. Anyone have experience in this area?

On a warm day, pull all the plastic trim on the inside around the headliner.  Remove the headliner and then you will have access to the screws from the inside.

Drill the head off and punch them through or cut them with a die grinder on the inside.

if you get them out in one piece, make sure you put some sort of loctite or something to keep them from rusting again. 

I wasnt able to put mine back on. Though, I ended up using 1" conduit and Ubolts to recreate them. work pretty solid!

-Justin

20180630_161828.jpg

3 hours ago, lmdew said:

On a warm day, pull all the plastic trim on the inside around the headliner.  Remove the headliner and then you will have access to the screws from the inside.

Drill the head off and punch them through or cut them with a die grinder on the inside.

I dont want to take off the rails on roof, just the cross members, that arc from side to side in air.

Edited by bork

3 hours ago, NV Zeno said:

I remove mine every winter for ease of snow removal.  One screw on each end of both crossbars.  Screws are Torx T30.   

Did you buy the torx or were they OE? Stainless steel? What does your screws screw into? Plastic or a nut or a backing plate? After the screws are removed the cross bars just lift straight up, & off?