Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Before I start , I understand how many people feel about this as well as the consequences that come along with it. With that being said it is simply not your car so please dont waste your time if you cant offer any information.

02 wrx , 04 center diff 

I am currently working on welding the center diff. I have removed everything and I'm ready to seal it back up. My question is actually regarding the front axles. Half the people who have done it say you have to remove the axles , the other half say its unnecessary. My confusion comes from taking a peak at the transmission. While the very tail end of the shaft only spins the front, the rear portion spins both front and rear. I have removed the front gear and the spider gears as well as the clutch pack, But i feel as though without removing the front axles i will still be putting power to the front.  I may just be looking into it too hard but i cant seem to find any solid answers.  Thanks in advance! 

If you've removed the spider gears in the centre diff you shouldn't have any drive unless you've welded up something to power the rear end. 

If you've done it this way you should be able to keep the front shafts in place.  But if you've simply welded all the spider gears together in place then you'll have to pull the front shafts - and leave the inner cups in place to seal the box if they're the male spline units. 

Cheers

Bennie

Theres been a few people who have done this on older 4wd's. 

Either way on the fronts, you'll need something to the wheels otherwise they'll fall off. :lol:

If there's no drive to the front axles, it really doesnt matter either way. They'll just spin with the wheels. That said, the wheels will have the drag of spinning the axles. A lot of people cut off the axle at the first knuckle (wheel side), so that they can mount the hub and not spin the whole axle.

-Justin