Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need a little input and advice for an engine swap  I've got a 96 Impreza 2.2 auto. I'm wanting to do a h6 swap to it. Initially I was going to use the svx 3.3 then found out keeping the AC is difficult. So I figured I'd use the ez30 so I could keep the AC. I got a wire harness out of a 02 ll bean and started to get the engine and trans wiring fished out to do the ez30 swap. That's quite time consuming. I was hoping to get a whole car to do the swap but no such luck.

Well now now comes the quandary, I just found a running svx really cheap. I went and looked at it. Runs and sounds good. Couldn't drive it but the engine was quiet. 

So my question is which one is easier to do or better to do? I can get the whole svx for half the price of a lower mileage ez30 which is a good thing. I knew I shouldn't have looked at the svx. 

The EG33 is like 3 inches longer, so fitment is much more difficult. Just getting the radiator to fit is a challenge. A/C? Yikes.

Also the EG33 was rare and is getting old, parts are getting hard to come by. The EZ30 is newer, and much much more common.

I love the EG33, but the EZ is so much more practical.

• Like 2

Numbchux knows that car/engine and they are great engines....sounds like it's more work and 3-8 years from now chances are you'll wish you went EZ.

if you already started with the EZ30 why not just finish it?

i've got a 2003 H6 parts car with blown headgasket that could possibly be a supporting donor but probably not worth your dollar or my time.

Edited by idosubaru

ummmm...... I am 20 minutes from you.   I have a blown headgasket  ez30 from a 2003 WITH gasket kit (Subaru headgaskets).

I was looking to sell the engine for the price of the gasket kit.   I also have new headbolts, if I could just recoupe the cost.

get in touch with me.

19 hours ago, idosubaru said:

hour and a half south of pittsburgh.  with all the rust up your way you should be able to find a craigslist special to makes this one pointless for you and a waste of time for me. 

I didn't know that you were that close.....

• 2 months later...

I thought I was going to go and do the ez swap and then a really great deal came up for the eg33. I got one with 89k on it. It's been setting for around 14 yrs. Got it to run on starting fluid for a little while. The only thing I'm lacking for the swap is the exhaust. Not having a truck it was an interesting trip only having a hitch haul. 

KIMG0168.jpg