Ultimate Subaru Message Board

storing engines ....

I am envisioning a carcase hanging to bleed out ....same should be done to an engine to be stored.

In the better light I am inspecting the bores of my low mileage stump puller that if I didn't pull out of my GLTA this EA82T Brumby would never get off the ground

It was in good nick on pull out, four years later gets fitted out for the Brumby then a weep of green stuff at turbo side exhaust gasket at head

Heads are blamed. Of with its heads. Other hoarded heads are cleaned up and ready to go on, when in the sunlight I could see a nicely steam cleaned piston top and a line, no, two lines in the bore

The bore looked a little dark, felt rough as poo to my fingers, and hang on, is that a tide mark on the piston top, its not piston but pistoff :

While this pristine example of EA82T sat, obviously unable to have drained all its coolant out for some reason, it has got into one pot, I have started her up in the Brumby yet not driven and started to clean the rust up in the bore.

Short story is took me 30 minutes to strip it further in a hurry. Case halves now in shop for a 40 thou 1.0mm rebore. Got some EA82T slugs hoarded since 2009 to go in

These were earmarked for another project.....

You probably already know this, but just in case you weren't aware of all the details:

The EA82Ts are head snappers. They crack between the valves and in the exhaust ports.

I worked in the dealers when these cars were new, and we would fill pickup trucks up with cracked heads, and use the scrap money for "Chili Fridays."

Subaru went through two revisions of the castings till they finally got it "fixed" in 89, but I heard even some of the latest ones cracked.

They are identified by the "EA82" cast in the bottom of the head. The first revision had a line cast under the EA82, and the second revision had a box cast around it.

I wouldn't keep of try to use anything but the box heads. Not a question of if, but WHEN they WILL crack.

Yep. Heard of this, thanks. Heads going on are underlined ones. Keeping in mind Subaru service bulletin on these cracks. These were crack tested and passed.

To find boxed ea82 heads here be like AWD 5mt with a decent centre diff.

I got 110,000 km out of last incarnation of this engine. On welded heads, and they need to be assessed again one day

Sitting

about must have done its damage.