Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newby question, 2000 Outback, front struts, discs, brakes

Hello all, 

Do I need special tools to replace the struts, brakes, and discs on 2000 Outback?  I do not know whether just the pads, or the calipers also need replacing.  

I have all the tools and skill to do this on a 2nd generation GL.  

mkoch

Nope, nothing too special.   A way to compress the springs on the struts   and the caliper , rotor & pads is same as always.    Be sure to grease the caliper slide pins with syl-glide or other high quality brake lube.

EDIT)    Upper bolt holding the strut to the knuckle is for alignment ,   mark the head to the knuckle with paint and turn from the nut side. Lower bolt is normal 

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 1

electric impact would be a great addition to your 'kit' even if you only used it for buzzing off wheels. I regret waiting 30 years to own an impact.

That said, it's no good for assembling anything - use a torque wrench when appropriate.

Best approach for struts, gather your new parts, take the assemblies and new parts to a shop, pay them them do the swap. If you want to do the whole process, the impact will help a LOT with the spring compressors. Doing struts is what prompted me to buy mine. Yes, doable with hand tools, especially so if you aren't fighting rust. It just takes more effort and patience.  I had to kinda 'rig' a 6mm wrench to fit through a socket held by vice grips to torque the top of the strut.

Also, consider new strut mounts - at least remove them and spin on your finger - the bearings in the  mounts on my WRX were bad at only 65K miles or so - but 10 years old. Be careful with the little studs on the mounts, very low torque.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 2