Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Better Cooling System? EA71

any other suggestions besides the deletion of the mechanical fan and instead having a pair of EA82 Electric Fan's already on there, timing is as much as i can go in the retard way (around 7 degrees) and has a 160F degree thermostat? can't go higher than 65mph for more than a few minutes before that needle begins to climb, but then again the Rev's are at 4,000rpm at that point, im already on 155/90 R13 to decrease Engine RPM, which helped by increasing my speed from 58mph to 65mph... perhaps the waterpump is working too well and not letting the coolant have enough time to cool down when going through the radiator? again, any radiator suggestions?

Sounds like you have another issue. EA71s have more than enough radiator capacity and normally never have overheating problems.

If your timing is too retarded it will cause overheating. Too much advance only makes problems when it starts detonating.

The fans only come in to play when you are stopped or moving very slowly.

Try gunning it with the radiator cap off and see what happens :popcorn:

• Like 1

My ea81 has an aftermarket fan that is probably a little smaller than it needs to be as the needle climbs a bit when stopped idling in summer traffic, or creeping around on trails.  I am going to install a larger one and if that doesn’t work I might try an oil cooler which should help or at least add a little oil capacity.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 3:57 PM, Subaru Scott said:

Sounds like you have another issue. EA71s have more than enough radiator capacity and normally never have overheating problems.

If your timing is too retarded it will cause overheating. Too much advance only makes problems when it starts detonating.

The fans only come in to play when you are stopped or moving very slowly.

Try gunning it with the radiator cap off and see what happens :popcorn:

the coolant system is actually pressurized since i added a coolant reservoir to the radiator, but having the radiator cap doesn't really make a change besides loosing coolant while going down the road.

here's the thing, the vehicle has trouble picking up temperature when its 30degrees outside and never goes higher than a quarter of the temp.

in 105 degree weather, my top speed is around 65mph before the needle goes higher than halfway.

in 90 degree weather, i can cruise down the highway going around 75mph.

im going to install an actual temperature gauge from the autoparts store and see what it reads, perhaps im just being paranoid about the inaccurate 40 year old temperature needle...

• 4 weeks later...

so i got the numbers, looks like right after getting off of the highway and stopped at a light after driving for an hour at 65mph, im reading at 190F on the head of the block, and 165 on the coolant right when it's comming out of the block before being cooled in the radiator, on a hot 4pm day outside at 101F.

what's interesting is the 40 year old temp needle is at half when it's 175 on the head and 150 on the coolant.

and about 2/3 the way up when it's around 190 on the head of the block and 165 on the hottest point for the coolant.

is 190Block/165coolant hot for an EA71? 65mph screaming it's head off at 4,000rpm?