Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diff ratio of 99 2.0 5MT AWD easy?

Is it easy to know if this model had just one diff ratio or was there a few?

Also curious of front drive stubs on gearbox ...EA81 friendly 23 splined? Or no such luck with any EJ box?

It depends on what model the box came from AND sometimes what market it was sold in. 

Typically in Oz:

- Impreza = 3.9

- Liberty = 3.7 (Gen1 series 1 = 3.9)

- Outback = 4.111

- Forester = 4.111 NA, 4.44 turbo

These are manual boxes. Autos are a completely different kettle of fish. 

The only EJ box with 23 spline diff stubs up front is the early Liberty/Impreza 2wd box.

The L series 23 spline diff stubs are interchangeable with the EJ diffs ;)  I dunno about the MY boxes, it would be good if they did though!

Cheers

Bennie

The whole car I am looking at is drum braked RX so could be a 3.9 being the early povo edition with no disc rear.

Just look at me, not finishedcurrent project or next one and I am looking at sick EJ prey :)

I'm guessing you're talking about an Impreza?

Typically drum rear = 2wd. 

Are you sure this is a '99 model??

I always thought the drums were phased out with the 2wd boxes. 

I'm happy to stand corrected, just never seen it myself. 

Cheers

Bennie

Given an 85 RX had disc brakes you'd reckon a 99 RX would have disc rear. This RX looks like the first shape/series, and drum rear is something I had noted before with the RX and thought ripped off !

Oh, yes , talking about an Impreza, which I know is rare for me.

I have no idea just yet when Impreza first came out and when series changed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, done more than look at...I bought it...this series in wagon has always been a favourite of mine and thought deep about registering it ...then had recollections of Project Cheap Grief circa 2006. It was a GLTA intended only as a donor for turbo Brumby project but ended up keeping it in the road over 8 years and extended its 188,000 km !Ife another 110,000 km

This delayed the outstanding project at hand...so, to sort its miss ....not compression, possibly original lead or coil causing stuff. One black plug and overdose of fuel cleaner fixed that and much of the miss. Replaced one China made Bosch plug with Russian Bosch plug..seemed to improve.

First Bosch plug I have bought in over 25 years. Might try some Denso if I get motor in an MY body.

Engine is out now staring at this wiring loom after near jack hammering HVAC stuff out of the way. This needs a big bench, a diagram and no disturbances !

Yeah, put an EJ in it ....so much work in it !!

Dealer confirmed 3.9 rear diff. Has been serviced by same dealer for half its life, other dealers for another quarter and just a bit let go lately though still engine services kept up

EJ so worth the effort!

once you cut down a loom correctly you realise it's not that hard to do and isn't a huge amount of work that it's made out to be. 

Your first time is always the most awkward/confusing/nail biting/burn the bloody thing experience... Once enlightened it's easier the second time ;)

Good to hear you've got the diff ratio sorted. 

So it's the RX variant, with alloy wheels, side skirts and ej20?

Cheers

Bennie

so. if you have a link to an e-resource of the 9.99 made 2.0 EJ20  ECU  I will be a little closer.

If only the loom did not look so fat ! looking at each plug there is not so many wires as first thought, just how the rest of the wiring loom for the car merges under tape n stuff ....

You do know of this thing called google don't you Jono?

Try out this site. I got a manual or two from this site without issue. 

If you don't like that site I'm sure you'll find another one. I also found a site for Australia that you can buy the fsm by plugging your details into the site and apparently Subaru Australia will contact you to discuss further. Dodgy much??

Anyway you'll work it out ;)

Cheers

Bennie