Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,
Over the winter I got my hands on a power steering pump o-ring, the hose that goes from the reservoir and pump, and the two clamps for the hose. This is to hopefully fix the whine. From what I've read on here it seems pretty straight forward: take the one bolt off, quickly lift hose, pop out old ring, pop new one in, and bolt back on. What I haven't been able to track down in how to open the clamps to replace the hose. Are they straight forward or some fancy trick?

Thanks!

Oops, yes, it's a 2010 Outback.

Yes, that o-ring and clamps. The clamps looked a little odd so I thought I'd ask about opening them before I get out there and have to figure it out. So squeezing the two tabs opens them enough to fit on? It seemed like it was probably that simple but I wanted to double check.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:11 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

put a rag over the belt and around the area.

Ah, yes. Thanks for the suggestion. I probably wouldn't have thought of that but I expect there to be some spillage. I'm hoping to siphon out the reservoir to minimise the mess since I'm taking the hose off but in reality it probably won't be as clean as I hope. I'll also toss some pig pads underneath. Hopefully this takes care of the whine. :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I ended up getting this on a little while ago. I figured out what my confusion was.....they are already opened up! I was thinking they needed to be squeezed open but just needed to be squeezed so they get over the lip and close.

Other than that it went well with only a few drops ended up on the driveway.