Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, I am in the middle of a headgasket job and I found an extra part on the ground that I don't recall seeing on the tear down.  This is on a 2010 forester xt.  It's a small rubber washer, it seems very brittle now and I cracked it in half by barely touching it.  Can anyone identify it????  I have no idea where it could have come from, so I am not even sure that it came from this engine.  

20180707_124947.jpg

Ha ha...yeah, I cannot locate anything of the sort that it could be from on the intake or engine etc.  The thing is, I swept the floor before starting the tear down, so I have reason to suspect it very well could have come from the engine.

Actually, no the oil pump is still on.  Haven't removed it either.  I do recall some similar rings like that on the old ea82 pumps, but I haven't touched one of those in this shop ever.  Good suggestion though...

at just barely 15mm outer diameter, thinking it is a bit small for an injector o-ring too... but I have no experience with one that new.. I honestly can not think of anything that small.

XT is a turbo model, right? could it have something to do with the turbo system?

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

looks too small to be an EJ oil pump o-ring.. 

Im wondering about a VVT solenoid or sensor o-ring.

Did you disconnect any AC or power steering lines?

i haven’t had the 2010’s off but fuel injector o-ring?

I didn't see any seals on the vvt sensors when they came out.  They are a bit bigger than this ring too.

Did not disconnect power steering, just unbolted the unit and swung it over.

I DID undo the power steering lines.  I will check around there.

I didn't take the injectors off, just unbolted the entire intake.

1 minute ago, heartless said:

at just barely 15mm outer diameter, thinking it is a bit small for an injector o-ring too... but I have no experience with one that new.. I honestly can not think of anything that small.

XT is a turbo model, right? could it have something to do with the turbo system?

All of the turbo seals appear to be copper washers.  I didn't see anything rubber on the unt

It except for the bottom hose, which its definitely not from there.

• Like 1

I don't recognize it given what you took apart and I've been through these engines hundreds of times. I just finished a 600 HP FXT for the West Coast Subaru Show.

My guess would have been injector o-ring given the approximate dimensions but you ruled that out. Maybe it was laying on top of the engine from previous work on the injectors and just fell out when you pulled the engine.

GD

GD!!!!  Thanks for chiming in.   I am very familiar with your posts, and I didn't expect you would still be around this board.  You have guided me through many ea82 and even a few ej issues in the past.

One thing it looked to be similar in size to, was the dip stick o-rings, but mine are still intact.  I checked the cam sensors and they are still there...and also a little bigger.

I think you are right.  I'm not going to worry about it too much, but thanks everyone for the input!!!

Dean