Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have to get an engine together for an 2004 Outback EGR 2.5L. The old engine has a hole in the case. I have a good short block from a 2002 Outback that doesn't have EGR heads so I want to remove the EGR heads and install them on my good short block. I figured it would be best to mill those heads and have any other necessary work done to them before installing on this short block. My question is which company provides the most dependable headgaskets? Cometic? Six Star? Suggestions? Any thoughts and suggestions from people who have learned what's the best route via personal experience?

Edited by iriejedi

(142713912360) ebay item # 642 Subaru MLS  Pair  $76.00 delivered     No debate     use at least these or the turbo head gaskets.  Don't mill the heads ,Clean them up with 150 grit WD and then check for flatness.    Check valve lash while you have them on the bench.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

I'll be going for the turbo gaskets on our EJ251 next. The stock replacement gaskets are leaking coolant externally after 80k km :/

i can't remember the part number used last time around...

Cheers

Bennie

Sadly if you take your car to a Subaru dealer they will generally install the gasket specified by Subaru.  For many this is the 11044AA633 Gasket that IS NOT a Multi Layer Steel gasket

• Like 1

642's were used on early turbo models. 04-06 STi IIRC. So they are not strictly an NA gasket. They do fit the porting on the SOHC heads a little better but we have and continue to use 770's on every engine when the 642's are not available. The porting really makes no difference at all. 

GD

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

642's were used on early turbo models. 04-06 STi IIRC. So they are not strictly an NA gasket. They do fit the porting on the SOHC heads a little better but we have and continue to use 770's on every engine when the 642's are not available. The porting really makes no difference at all. 

GD

GD, so you find the 642 to be more reliable than the 770? Or is there really no difference? I'm going to order something this afternoon and appreciate yours and everyone else's comments.

BTW, for some reason I thought most people in this group were fans of the Cometic head gaskets.

Cometic is ok - but I only use them if I need a special thickness. They are more expensive and less available than the factory gaskets. 

There is no real difference between 642 and 770 other than some minor cooling port shape differences. They don't matter and either work in every application in my experience. 

GD

• Like 1

• 1 month later...