Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 outback with a 93 2.2 motor in it. For 2 years now it in as has no problems at all. Now it has start in ng issues sometimes. You turn the key to start it and nothing. No click or anything. I replaced the starter with a napa starter and it was good for a couple months,  it it did it again today. I didn't think to try starting it in neutral last time, but today I tried it and it started right up. It's an auto tranny. Am I looking at a neutral safety switch and if so, where is it located?

Thanks

Dp

8 hours ago, dp213 said:

I didn't think to try starting it in neutral last time, but today I tried it and it started right up

keep in mind that one time isn't a good diagnosis.  maybe if previously it was problematic 20 times in a row and then this worked.  but walk carefully around assuming too much.

a. you've identified the safety switch as a potential issue - i'd wash-rinse-repeat and make sure i can pinpoint the diagnosis

b. starter relay mod is a common need - people have posted diagrams on how to do it, might want to search for that. 

c. the battery contacts/terminals/cables need to be clean and tight

d. the starter often just needs new $10 contacts.  remanned starters are a roll of the dice, though the odds are in your favor but they're still not high.  you're better offer replacing contacts and keeping the original OEM starter than replacing it with aftermarket. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

I think I have the workaround so you are not left stranded.  I have this exact issue  that is aggravated with extreme hot and cold weather.   As drivers we are conditioned to turn the key for a split second expecting the starter to kick in and start the car.  That will not work if your car has this issue.  Workaround.  Turn the key all the way and hold it.  Within 5 to 15 seconds the car will start to crank. This has worked for the past week for me.

• Like 1

Also wait a second or two after you turn the key to ON before you move it to START then hold it there for a few seconds.

I put a alternate start line for my kid's car that lives an hour away and has starting issues.  Just ran a parallel line from the starter solenoid and left it secured near the starter so if needed he can touch it to the Positive terminal of the battery after turning the ignition switch to on.  Put a fuse in it for protection.

8 hours ago, msmithmmx said:

When my car will not start and with the key in the on position a wire placed from starter to battery will not work.  It will turn the starter but the engine will not start it will only crank.

Then you have a different issue.  Need to differentiate between No Crank and No Start.

Edited by Mike104

I have both a no crank /no start when I sit in the car and turn the key.   When I manually try to jump it with a wire from the batter to starter it only cranks.  I think it is an issue with the ignition lock cylinder. Something is shorting the ignition out.  I have the part and may try to swap this weekend.  I expect this to be an issue on the incline for others as we hit 20+ years of operation. 

DP213 - Did you ever fix your issue.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:56 AM, Mike104 said:

Also wait a second or two after you turn the key to ON before you move it to START then hold it there for a few seconds.

I put a alternate start line for my kid's car that lives an hour away and has starting issues.  Just ran a parallel line from the starter solenoid and left it secured near the starter so if needed he can touch it to the Positive terminal of the battery after turning the ignition switch to on.  Put a fuse in it for protection.

It is 15 degrees here in PA.  Your workaround did the trick as well.