Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brat EJ22 running issues

I've recently transplanted a 1998 EJ22 into my Subaru Brat. The EJ along with the wiring harness was out of my Loyale, which ran great before it was pulled.

So the thing runs great when it isn't all the way to operating temp. I can really get onto the gas and do pulls with no cutting out. But after a little bit of driving, the EJ cuts out real bad. Definitely a misfire. Those things never happened when it was in my Loyale. It also idles really low, id say around 4-500 on the tach (and shakes a little but can this be because of no pitch stopper?). No CEL's (minus the typical like gas tank temp). 

I did a few things differently this time around.

1. Short Ram intake. All of the vacuum lines are connected after the MAF

2. Fuel Cell

Also I cleaned/replaced the following

1. IACV

2. MAF

3. used Engine Coolant Temp Sensor

4. used Ignitor

5. New fuel filter

Is it OK to use the stock return lines and vent lines from the EA81 or are they too small? I have an upgraded fuel pump for FI but I feel like its flooding the engine(Once it cuts out it backfires).

Any ideas? I'm super stumped I literally did it almost identical to my loyale but i'm not getting the same results.

Edited by alexbuoy

You might have better luck in the newer forum, since what you are dealing with is an EJ engine problem.  It probably has little to do with the body it is installed in.

Outside of checking all the wiring involved with fuel and the throttle body, I can't say much else.  I've never had an EJ.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

You might have better luck in the newer forum, since what you are dealing with is an EJ engine problem.  It probably has little to do with the body it is installed in.

Outside of checking all the wiring involved with fuel and the throttle body, I can't say much else.  I've never had an EJ.

Thanks I was thinking the exact thing. Ill make a post there now