Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Forester won't run suddenly

Wife drove her brother to the airport,  and they fueled up on the way. Within ten miles after fuelling (had less than 1/4 tank before), the car shuddered and sputtered, in heavy stop&go traffic, and finally died right at the same gas station they filled up at.

I sprayed the MAF sensor with cleaner, and found a spare purge solenoid and replaced it. Little to no difference. 

I'm pretty sure it's a sensor issue but I don't have a code reader and it won't run so I'm stuck. We had it towed to where I work so after work I have time to work on it. 

I got it to run yesterday, got it up to 4k rpm and then let it run there for a minute, and it died when I let off. Sometimes it will start but choke and die when I step on the throttle. It has also backfired a few times. 

Any ideas?

47 minutes ago, lichen said:

It's not the timing,  amd the fuel filter appears to be clear.

how do you know it is not the timing?? did you pull the covers and check it?

If not, then don't discount it. Even 1 tooth off can cause all kinds of headaches. VERIFY it is correct - do not assume.

also, if there is CEL you really should get those codes read - borrow a reader, or buy one, or something, but find out what the codes are.

You should be able to read codes by plugging the test connectors together that are behind the kick panel above the driver's feet. It's the poor man's code reader :P

Another thing to check is the idle air control valve on the throttle body, make sure it's not stuck/is working correctly. 

Cheers

Bennie

Codes are:

P1510

P1516

P0106

P0440

P0136

I cleaned the IACV with MAF cleaner. 

It could be the timing, but after checking the numbers, it had new pulleys, idlers, tensioner, bolts, belt and head gaskets only 37k miles ago. 

This corresponded with a fuelling from a station we never use. But I don't know how that could be relevant. Contaminated fuel?

440, very possible hole in fuel filler pipe (behind the plastic) or destroyed seal on gas cap

on a '98, you can probably ignore the 136 for now (post cat o2 sensor)

1510/16 point to IACV, some folks have had luck cleaning it - some needed to clean it again, others have found bad wiring/connectoer - some need to replace it.

106, intake manifold pressure - saw one post that indicated a small vacuum line was loose?

If you have a smartphone, Torqu app and a cheap bluetooth adapter can get you live data - check amazon for bafx or veepeak ELM327 BT adapter

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I've had four late 90's subarus.  The only thing that caused stalling to a stop was a failing MAF.  Cleaning the MAF is a waste of time in my opinion.  The problem is in the solid state electronics.  In my case, it didn't set a code for the first 4 times it stalled the car.  Finally it did.  The OP is in a position that he has to start guessing.  The first guess should be to go get a used MAF and put it in.  It only takes 5 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1