Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FJ40Don,

There are a great many code readers out there, but not every one of them will read every code for every vehicle made. I suggest you find someone with a better code reader (Pep Boys, O'Rielly's). The cheaper ones read only the basic codes for every manufacturer, but for some vehicles you need the maker's specific code reader.

NO offense,....If this is an Automatic, are U sure it's the CEL and not the Power or AT temp light??

And '95 was the OBD1>OBD2 transition. I think all  1995 2.2 Subarus were OBD2,...but  not 100%.

I believe the '95 Impreza 1.8 was still OBD1.

Edited by wtdash

3 hours ago, wtdash said:

NO offense,....If this is an Automatic, are U sure it's the CEL and not the Power or AT temp light??

And '95 was the OBD1>OBD2 transistion. I think all  1995 2.2 Subarus were OBD2,...but  not 100%.

I believe the '95 Impreza 1.8 was still OBD1.

This is a shifter car and definitely OBD2.

Thanks for the assistance. I found a post from 05 with the same symptoms. DR Subaru had suggested disconnecting a green 2-prong plug under the ds dash. Sure enough, disconnected it and the light is out and it's throwing no codes.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:39 PM, wtdash said:

Doh! Shoulda/coulda remembered that!

good job!

the fans shoulda been cycling and all sensors clicking. 

Yes, the fans were cycling and every sensor was clicking. Oh, and the four-way flashers were non-op and buzzed when the door was opened. Later I presumed it was a fail-safe for the tech to remember that it was plugged in.