Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time Subaru owner with $300 '95 Legacy

I am new to the Subaru Universe.  Recently acquired '95 Legacy for $300 that needed some pulleys and belts.  Easy DIY...totally worth it!  Possible future owner of '92 SVX, this weekend...may get for less than $500.  

• Like 1

95 legacy's - if it's never been overheated and reasonable oil changes those will run 300,000 miles rather easily, realiably, and inexpensively.   

new timing belt and timing pulleys, plugs, wires, cheap $8 ebay knock sensor (most common engine sensor failure - it has either already failed or will), subaru has "new" alternators for $75 if you're into long term/distance reliability. 

good luck!

The Legacy is at 270,000 presently!  I did a full timing kit and H2O pump.   Running and driving like a champ...besides rear wheel bearing "whoomp whoomp whoomp"  Thanks for the pointers.  I will certainly utilize the help.

Congrats and welcome. Congrats on finding a $300 beater AND it being the first edition 2.2 ! You seem to be straight on target. Good man , you fit in well here.

Curious - Which timing kit did you buy ? Or make up from various ? What brand were the pulleys and pump ? It’s a topic often discussed with manufacturers we once loved now selling Chinese garbage. Thanks for any input.

The board is fading out but hopefully there’ll always be a presence here and good people. Enjoy !

Thank you kind sir!  I bought a DAYCO brand kit, keeping it on the cheap.  The pump is from Thailand...<_<.  Oh well.  The car has 270,000mls.  Hoping to get it to 300 with least amount spent.  Hopefully I can score the '92 SVX today for less than $500 and see what it has left in it.

15 hours ago, moosens said:

Congrats and welcome. Congrats on finding a $300 beater AND it being the first edition 2.2 ! You seem to be straight on target. Good man , you fit in well here.

Curious - Which timing kit did you buy ? Or make up from various ? What brand were the pulleys and pump ? It’s a topic often discussed with manufacturers we once loved now selling Chinese garbage. Thanks for any input.

The board is fading out but hopefully there’ll always be a presence here and good people. Enjoy !

Thank you kind sir!  I bought a DAYCO brand kit, keeping it on the cheap.  The pump is from Thailand...<_<.  Oh well.  The car has 270,000mls.  Hoping to get it to 300 with least amount spent.  Hopefully I can score the '92 SVX today for less than $500 and see what it has left in it.

Just keep your ears open for squealing going forward. You should make 300k even with the cheapie kit. But don’t expect too much more before the pulleys squeal. 

Good luck on the SVX !

Italian design , just a bit heavy but cool for sure. Enjoy !