Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Long Shot? A/C Compressor

On 8/8/2018 at 2:39 PM, czny said:

The comp I have here is a MJS170 6DP, 2 groove pulley. 5 sided(pentagonal) rear discharge cover. Minus the pulse pickup & bracket. 

Tested the clutch & its good. Let me know & if not I'll put it up for adoption in the parts section.

Matsushita = Panasonic.

Not to be a pain, but if this means what I think it means, it won't work in his application. The bracket will be right about where the discharge is. It's the same one I got sent the first time. 

If by rear you mean the side of the back cover then I sincerely apologize. 

Dan

On edit: Pictures attached. 

Compressors.jpg

compressors2.jpg

Edited by BEECHBM69

Dan, it looks just like the lower used one with brackets attached in your picture.

If you still have that one you could maybe unbolt the rear cover & turn the discharge port to up position where it belongs(?)

If you don't want to void the warranty then tell the rebuilder what orientation the ports must be in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, czny said:

Dan, it looks just like the lower used one with brackets attached in your picture.

If you still have that one you could maybe unbolt the rear cover & turn the discharge port to up position where it belongs(?)

If you don't want to void the warranty then tell the rebuilder what orientation the ports must be in.

They made it right when I showed them what I had. The stock photo in the add was like mine, so I didn't think to specify (actually, I had no idea there was more than one back case :banghead: ) Back of the back, vs side of the back. 

Glad it's all going to work out. Back to your deal already in progress with no further interruptions from me :D

Dan

Does anyone here have the dealer installed EA82 A/C?  The install with compressor outboard of the alternator?

Some closeup pics might help differentiate between edge discharge port & rear discharge port units.

Cleaned up the MJS compressor in a water based solvent tank - with ports plugged of course. Pulled the plugs, turned it over by hand a few times & its making  compression OK. Inverted it & some dark oil(Suniso R12 oil) came out so Subarule may want to drain all oil & refill with fresh mineral oil. It may be cheaper to go back to R12 than convert everything to R134. Or one of the hydrocarbon R12 substitutes.

Turn compressor upside down with discharge port lowest & turn over by hand until all old oil is pushed out. Turn right side up, insert small funnel in suction port & add measured amount of oil, turning over by hand again. 4.00 oz of mineral oil for R12. 28.0 oz of R12.

Read here: https://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm

and here: https://www.aa1car.com/library/tr497.htm

Subarule & all,

Compressor & brackets with hardware bubble/peanut packed in a Large USPS flat rate box weighs 26lbs 8 oz. Measured at the post office with their scales.

Everything fits in that large box if disassembled.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 10:48 AM, BratshitCrazy said:

Are you still looking? I mistakenly bought a compressor for an '86 Brat (I bought the wrong year) and I'm stuck with it. I'll make you a  deal on it if you need it. Let me know and I'll take some pics this weekend so you can see what it looks like. 

On 7/31/2018 at 1:43 PM, Subasaurus said:

11ttery on Passenger side=EA 81

--battery on Drivers side=EA 82

(disclaimer: for those people that drive on the correct side of the road like in america)

I did get my money back. And nothing wrong with the one you sent me. It is still in the shipping packaging. I haven't had the money to have it installed until this month. I plan to get that done in Sept. It's always about the cash flow.

I know a couple of local Subaru guys who would like to have working AC in their Subes, that's why I was interested in what else might be available.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:04 PM, Subarule said:

Is it a reman?

It is. I know nothing about its history - bought it off ebay on impulse when I first got my brat and later realized that it was for an EA82, but I have an EA81.  I'm not even sure it fits an EA82, actually. Maybe you can tell from the pic. It's nice and clean and appears to be unused (but rebuilt - there's a rebuild tag on the top). Let me know if you're interested. 

IMG_0022.JPG

On 8/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, czny said:

Inverted it & some dark oil(Suniso R12 oil) came out so Subarule may want to drain all oil & refill with fresh mineral oil. It may be cheaper to go back to R12 than convert everything to R134. Or one of the hydrocarbon R12 substitutes.

Turn compressor upside down with discharge port lowest & turn over by hand until all old oil is pushed out. Turn right side up, insert small funnel in suction port & add measured amount of oil, turning over by hand again. 4.00 oz of mineral oil for R12. 28.0 oz of R12.

Read here: https://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm

and here: https://www.aa1car.com/library/tr497.htm

8 hours ago, BratshitCrazy said:

It is. I know nothing about its history - bought it off ebay on impulse when I first got my brat and later realized that it was for an EA82, but I have an EA81.  I'm not even sure it fits an EA82, actually. Maybe you can tell from the pic. It's nice and clean and appears to be unused (but rebuilt - there's a rebuild tag on the top). Let me know if you're interested. 

Since Subarule passed on the offer, I would be an interested buyer if you just want to get rid of it. 

I just "rescued" a 92 Loyale that "just quit running..... but the timing belts are good." 

They weren't.....lol Anyway, it has that compressor. 

Let me know. 

Dan