Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Long Shot? A/C Compressor

Don't know if I can find a part number.   There were 2 variants of A/C I am aware of, if it is an EA82 engine.

One, the compressor is closest to the battery, the other, the alternator is closest to the battery.

if your compressor is located in the center (between the power steering pump and alternator) then a part number does exist for that compressor, and it is available to order from autozone for a costly $280, if the compressor is located  on the outside closest to the drivers side, then your best luck is finding a generic compressor that has those bunny ear holes in every corner.

but that's not the difficult part of all this, once you locate your compressor of your desire, just hope that the fittings/adaptors will be the same as the ones you have or you'll be going to alot of little A/C shops looking for that antique fitting.

part number: 57453 (this one is only for the compressor that's located in the center between the powersteering pump and alternator)

Edited by Subasaurus

• 3 weeks later...

What are the brand names of the OEM compressors that went into an'86 GL? Hitachi, Panasonic (I think), and what else? 

I took what was supposed to be an exact fit to my car (allegedly a new OEM) to the shop that was going to install it and found out that it won't fit and that it's not a Hitachi, which apparently is what I need. Before I purchased it the site I bought it from assured me that it was the correct one for my exact car. Turns out it's not. Maybe it's the one that sits in the center under the hood? While mine is offset near the battery.

1 hour ago, Subarule said:

What are the brand names of the OEM compressors that went into an'86 GL? Hitachi, Panasonic (I think), and what else? 

I took what was supposed to be an exact fit to my car (allegedly a new OEM) to the shop that was going to install it and found out that it won't fit and that it's not a Hitachi, which apparently is what I need. Before I purchased it the site I bought it from assured me that it was the correct one for my exact car. Turns out it's not. Maybe it's the one that sits in the center under the hood? While mine is offset near the battery.

most of us on here are not surprised that happened.  when i read your first post i was thinking it wouldn't work.   autoparts counter people are often convinced that whatever their computers say has to be true.  and you can't blame them - 99% of the time they end up being right and can look up seemingly infinite parts compared with ease and accuracy.  But a 1980s subaru - best not to trust the parts store numbers on those. 

this is an EA81 right?  there were EA82's in 1986 and GL wagons had EA82's, but if you mean a GL hatch those are EA81's. 

are there any online places that will rebuild your existing compressor?  or get a used one?  parts wanted forum?

once again, if your compressor has the 8 bunny ears in every corner, that is just a generic dealer added compressor, you can get that compressor at any automotive A/C store like Carlisle, i don't know the part number of the generic compressor since it varies, but just bring your compresor with you, they'll have that one in stock and with a few brand options, you might have to modify the fittings form the hose to the metal collar, but any A/C shop can do that for you.

i've already been down this road, i don't understand...

--battery on Passenger side=EA 81

--battery on Drivers side=EA 82

(disclaimer: for those people that drive on the correct side of the road like in america)

Edited by Subasaurus

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

this is an EA81 right?  there were EA82's in 1986 and GL wagons had EA82's, but if you mean a GL hatch those are EA81's. 

EA82, 1.8L wagon

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

are there any online places that will rebuild your existing compressor?  or get a used one?  parts wanted forum?

7 minutes ago, Subasaurus said:

Factory installed, although i wasn't aware of the different brands of compressors the factory put on them over the years.

I took my car to one of the best shops in town that specializes in radiators & AC and that was where I was told about the different brands that Subaru used for that car.

They also told me that rebuilding mine was nearly impossible due to not being able to find all the necessary parts. 

You will just have to be patient and persistent. I have one of them working on my car and a spare one that came on a JDM engine (not for sale) and they both work. I have passed by several of these in the pick-n-pull yards too. Right after you give up looking for one it will turn up :)

I noticed from your 1st & 3rd pics that you're not running the 2nd belt on A/C compressor.

If you're trying to get work out of that compressor it has to have the 2nd belt driving it.

Or is that compressor seized so you left the belt off?

22 hours ago, czny said:

I noticed from your 1st & 3rd pics that you're not running the 2nd belt on A/C compressor.

If you're trying to get work out of that compressor it has to have the 2nd belt driving it.

Or is that compressor seized so you left the belt off?

No, I didn't intentionally leave the belt off. As far as I know it's not seized. Maybe the shop that diagnosed it as non-functional left it off. I haven't tried to use it in a few years, when it stopped putting out cold air. Filling it with refrigerant didn't get it to work either. The heater works well.

23 hours ago, czny said:

Thank you for those. I'm going to look into them. Right now it's a process of returning the wrong one back to the online supplier and getting my money back. It took some talking to make them understand that I wasn't about to pay the shipping on the return. 

1 hour ago, Subarule said:

No, I didn't intentionally leave the belt off. As far as I know it's not seized. Maybe the shop that diagnosed it as non-functional left it off. I haven't tried to use it in a few years, when it stopped putting out cold air. Filling it with refrigerant didn't get it to work either. The heater works well.

Wouldn't cost you much to add that belt then try it again. Maybe A/C stopped cooling because the old belt left the scene on the road somewhere in the past. 

Inner belt may be a Continental 17386 or Dayco 17385. Outer belt may be a Continental 17450 or Dayco 17451. O'Reilly has similar part numbers.