Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Long Shot? A/C Compressor

This is the one I used. Going on two years, no issues. https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMAN-A-C-COMPRESSOR-COMFORT-TEMP-57453R-FITS-1994-SUBARU-LOYALE-1-8L/132232695464?epid=76242066&hash=item1ec9aecea8%3Ag%3AZsgAAOSwPWRZSDQ4&_nkw=57453&_from=R40&rt=nc

There are (at least) two different back cases for this model compressor, the one you see with the rear fitting on the side of the back case, and one with the fitting on the back of the back case (the compressor itself is identical.) They sent the wrong case, but made it right with no cost to me, I just had to explain, "the one like in the picture," and attached a picture of what they sent vs what I had, with what was posted. Very nice people to deal with. 

And it won't work without the second belt. With only one belt, it will slip, and the lockup safety will kick the compressor out. 

Good luck!

Dan

• Like 3

On 8/2/2018 at 8:38 PM, czny said:

Wouldn't cost you much to add that belt then try it again. Maybe A/C stopped cooling because the old belt left the scene on the road somewhere in the past. 

Inner belt may be a Continental 17386 or Dayco 17385. Outer belt may be a Continental 17450 or Dayco 17451. O'Reilly has similar part numbers. 

Thank you for those #s. I'm definitely going to look into them, because, as people here have said, it's important that the AC has all its belts.

First I have to get my money back for the compressor that doesn't fit. That was guaranteed it would. It's not a straightforward return, since I'm not paying to ship it back or paying a restocking fee, and I'm not at fault. I was verbally told told that it would indeed fit, and the website says "guaranteed to fit". Trying to get hold of a real person at the site is almost impossible. They don't even answer to chat, just too, too busy. Like I'm going to give up...nope.

42 minutes ago, Subarule said:

First I have to get my money back for the compressor that doesn't fit. That was guaranteed it would. It's not a straightforward return, since I'm not paying to ship it back or paying a restocking fee, and I'm not at fault. I was verbally told told that it would indeed fit, and the website says "guaranteed to fit". Trying to get hold of a real person at the site is almost impossible. They don't even answer to chat, just too, too busy. Like I'm going to give up...nope.

Companies like that don't like it when the feds are called about consumer complaints, but hey, that's what the FTC is there for: https://www.ftc.gov/

There's a time limit I believe so don't let it pass you by.

I have a transcript of the chat from last week, where I'm told by a vendor rep that the vendor will pay for the shipping. Now I'm waiting for the prepaid shipping label. I'm going to see if they have a corporate HQ. If they do then I'll pester someone there.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 9:10 PM, Subarule said:

Hey, thanks for that thought and the part numbers.

Here's some more part numbers for future reference:

https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/vehicle/result?equipment-clazz=Passenger+Cars+%26+Light+Trucks&vehicle-type=Passenger+Cars&year=1987&make=Subaru&model=GL&engine=4-Cyl.+1.8+L

BTW, found a 86 GL A/C compressor , dual pulley clutch, with bracket & idler pulley in my storage shed. Forgot that that was in there.

Anyone's for price of shipping from my old address in zip 91010.  PM me if interested.

4 hours ago, czny said:

Here's some more part numbers for future reference:

https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/vehicle/result?equipment-clazz=Passenger+Cars+%26+Light+Trucks&vehicle-type=Passenger+Cars&year=1987&make=Subaru&model=GL&engine=4-Cyl.+1.8+L

BTW, found a 86 GL A/C compressor , dual pulley clutch, with bracket & idler pulley in my storage shed. Forgot that that was in there.

Anyone's for price of shipping from my old address in zip 91010.  PM me if interested.

Those things are heavy, I wonder how much shipping would be?

1 hour ago, Subarule said:

Those things are heavy, I wonder how much shipping would be?

Let's see if I can fit it in a large flat rate USPS Priority box.

I'll have to disassemble the brackets but bubble wrap the A/C compressor. 

Someone reasonably close is offering me one for $20, no shipping necessary. Let me see how that works out. I think the one I need is an MJS, or MSJ.  Which I think stands for Matsushita Subaru Japan. Matsushita seem to have taken over Fuji Heavy Industries. Again, I think that's the way it went.

The comp I have here is a MJS170 6DP, 2 groove pulley. 5 sided(pentagonal) rear discharge cover. Minus the pulse pickup & bracket. 

Tested the clutch & its good. Let me know & if not I'll put it up for adoption in the parts section.

Matsushita = Panasonic.

On 8/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, Subarule said:

Here are the photos of my compressor. What do I have, factory or dealer-installed? Or can you tell?

Subaru AC Compressor_4.jpg

Subaru AC Compressor_1.jpg

Subaru AC Compressor_2.jpg

Subaru AC Compressor_3.jpg

2 hours ago, Subarule said:

Is yours a match to mine, do ya' think? By no fluid do you mean no refrigerant? I'm interested!

Yes it should be a perfect match and yes just no refridgerant.

large flat rate boxes are 12x12x5 inches, not sure if the EA82 compressor will clear the height, and you can't deform the box as that will cause it to mail regularly, unless you get some new guy up front.

there are other variants of flat rate boxes, but none will help you since they occupy the same amount of cubic space inside, for example they get slimmer but longer for books and posters and such.

On 8/8/2018 at 3:07 PM, Subasaurus said:

large flat rate boxes are 12x12x5 inches, not sure if the EA82 compressor will clear the height, and you can't deform the box as that will cause it to mail regularly, unless you get some new guy up front.

there are other variants of flat rate boxes, but none will help you since they occupy the same amount of cubic space inside, for example they get slimmer but longer for books and posters and such.

Please stop helping my effort to help the OP. .....lol

Here's a pic or two of that MJS compressor in a MEDIUM flat rate box. You can clearly see the model number in first pic.

You also see the box isn't distorted in the second pic.

Sorry guys & gals. Needed more attachment space here for future post(s).

But it is true - MJS compressor will fit in medium USPS flat rate box. Compressor & all brackets will fit in large flat rate box.

Edited by czny
removed pics-needed attachment drive space for other

If I'm understanding this correctly a compressor can fit in a USPS flat rate box? I don't know how much one weighs but I've picked up the wrong one I received and it's mighty heavy. 

Here's what I got from the USPS site:

Large Flat Rate Box $17.65 commercial base

$18.90 at Post Office (retail & online)
Outside:
12 1/4" x 12 1/4" x 6"
Inside:
12" x 12" x 5 1/2"
Laptop
Computers
Gifts
etc.

As far as compressors and sitting... 

The pulley is mounted on a double race ball bearing.  It freewheels.  When the clutch is energized, the compressor rotor is engaged to the pulley.  The compressor rotor is connected to the flat plate with the 3 tabs sticking off of it that are for the safety [seized compressor] cutout.  That is what you want to turn to see if the compressor is stuck.  You do also want to spin the pulley to check the ball bearings, but that's a lot easier to fix than the internals.

Sitting shouldn't hurt them, there is refrigeration oil in the Freon loop, and it is circulated through the system.  Sitting outdoors, in high humidity, and wide temperature swings, with open lines, well that could cause problems.

• Like 1

Here's all the USUAL flat rate envelopes & boxes: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm

There some other sizes behind the counters if these don't work for you. You must ask for them.

If you want the one I have I can clean it up & packed in that same medium flat rate box you see in the above pics. It'll survive with some reinforced tape etc.

If you wish, PM me your address & we'll figure out the money for shipping.

That MJS compressor I have here does have a working clutch(energized it several times) & turns over freely with clutch engaged. Suction & discharge ports were plugged all the time I've had it. May still have some Suniso oil for R12 still in it too.

Edited by czny