Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so I've read many times recently on the forum to re-ring with a head gasket replacement.

I've read the article provided by GD in another thread about why you don't home to "deglaze" a bore or to bed new rings in.

What I'd like to know is the procedure of how to go about re-ringing the engine from the time the pistons are out. Basically in terms of:

- What needs to be checked?

- How is this checked?

- Do you buy standard rings for the given engine and call it a day or is it more technical than this (eg, measuring bore to piston clearances with a wire gauge then work out required ring size from this?)

I ask these as I'm about to do this to an engine to get one of my project cars going and want to be clear about how to do this properly. 

I know @GeneralDisorder,@Gloyale and possibly @idosubaru have done this before - if you have the time to share this information or the way you go about it, I and I'm sure other members, would really appreciate some guidance. 

Regards

Bennie from Down Under ;)

Edited by el_freddo

You buy standard rings, and install them. That's it. No measurement is generally required on standard bore sizes. You can check ring gap if you like. I've never had to gap standard sized rings. If you bore it oversized or are doing a special build with NOS or high boost, etc then you need to gap them for the application.

I use NPR rings.

GD

• Thanks 1

Try precision international for rings Bennie 

They supplied some Japanese made rings for my EA82T review last week.

Actually before re-ring bores best be inspected for heat spots show up as round blemishes in my case

Cast as opposed to chromoly for best bed in, though chromoly will last better if you can bed them in :( rev better too

Every re-ring I have done I have used a flexible and splashed lots of Kero ( not ya wife!) about then handy Andy scrub clean before rebuild. Never a drama. Flexhone flexhone get it right !!

Only once you have rings measure gaps in bore top middle and lowest point. Race engines use bigger gaps and is all worked out on per bore inch