Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ conversion pulling tips please

Must be best starting point having driven the donor home instead of pulling bits in a wreckers yard full of weeds, mud., dust and dog poo

Happy finding donor GF8 RX Impreza has full dealer service history for 80% of its life. New belts tensioners and water pump @ 200.000 km

Poo load of wires at the ECU for just four cylinders !!

Just like liberty/legacy donors the entire dash and HVAC needs come out first to get the loom.

I just want to identify the powhite from ignition to ecu and the earth wiret.

Erk. Not as simple as Just put an EJ in

If only the ecu loom metwith the engine plugs and few wires to fuel pump and ignition and your off

Third loom lucky this timeStarted with ej16 and loom years ago. Birds nest. Chucked the lot !

Also pulled ej22 and loom. Bundled up somewhere half stripped

This one is gonna go but not in a month of weeks

Just so many wires seem to ho nowhere near engfunctions of ej22Figuree this GF8 will be same

Not into cut down service as this budget will be tight or I will just go EA82 high comp or something

So who can give fown experience what to look for, test and tag as I pull this loom ?

I essentially need to get running on petrol beforI snip a pump wire and hook up the propane

found with the other looms once start pulling wrap and snipping wires out becomes a mess

Not wantmess to transfer

Pull the loom. As you unplug things label them!

You're after things that are engine related only. Label these as this will make the loom cut down easier. 

Get a wiring diagram that's model specific as this will help out identifying different wires that either go to the instrument cluster (tacho oil etc) or to other locations such as speed sensor and power wires.

to cut it down start at the ECU plugs, remove all tape/conduit and tape together all ECU related wires along their paths. Once this is complete and you've labelled those odd wires you need separate, cut the rest out. 

This should leave you with only the wiring loom left to run the engine with the ECU.

This is a good time to bench test your loom with the engine before you start to wrap it back up again. 

Have fun with it. I can't wait to get stuck into another one ;)

Cheers

Bennie

whoops, bit late.

Engine, box and diff are now out, but I think I can remember a lot of the loom stuff so labels it will be

Found two relays, one pink plug, other blue plug, suspect they are ign and pump relays as the other pair of relays have a third relay in yellow plastic housing and think they are lights.

Gonna put the front bumper on the market - hey it almost makes a car look like a wrx !  Just the little orange vents up front - $50 each plus postage !

Maybe I could just fit the engine back in ?? Still got power windows working. Both up and down are handy at the moment. Snaffling all the alloy to cash in

Fun ?? I have such sore fingertips. I think this body is gonna get the tambox disposal method, cut it up into manageable bits for the trailer to avoid disposal pick up fees

Those two relays are the ones you need. I don't know what the others are about but I doubt they're needed. 

You can test the engine outside of the vehicle once your loom is cut down, or even have the EJ fitted into the recipient vehicle for a test fire. 

Cheers

Bennie

Think the others are headlights. So very familiar pulling this car apart....so much MY/EA81 construction about them. My hat goes off to the guy who got impreza dash into Brumby. Whole thing is three inches wider!

Yeah the dash needs to be trimmed and mounting tabs fabricated to fit that dash. 

Then climate controls etc don't work. I don't know if you remember the guy on Ausubi that had the flame orange/red coupe running a WRX drivetrain and dashboard. He used the full WRX heater box and under dash AC gear by welding in the WRX firewall - and got it engineer approved.

Its currently on gumtree for sale again - just a cool $14.5G...

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

Can see the benefits of an Impreza dash with air but holy heck it must be job to trim the right bits, wire it all up.

But you know I prefer the MY era of assembly. The L Series was the start of plastic clips n crap

built in plastic clips say for dash removal . I am not of the EA were crap [engine or whole car] but I have hardly driven EJ stuff further than 15km whether-t be a B4 Liberty with the lot, or a FWD EJ beater and wasn't too impressed by my RX with ,250,000 km on everything - even the air in tyres felt real old :)

and just waiting for the right frame of mind to give my bored and hone EA82T casings a bubble bath before checking ring gaps. Did one ring and found it to have 15 thou gap about the lowest point in bore - which fits in nice with the 3 to 4 thou per bore diameter inch rule of thumb that I found in old set of rings instructions. Got made in Japan NPR set with chromoly top ring. Mind you , I received a set of taps I bought off ebay from China. Complies to JIS [Japanese standard ?] says made in Japan, and posted out of Germany

Edited by jono
fix things, what else?