Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all long time lurker, finally able to post since I bought a gf chassis Impreza.

I have a 1998 GF8 with ej20k and full ver4 drivetrain 4.44 tranny/r 160 rear diff and axles

My rear diff is leaking from one the axle seal. Are all r160 rear diffs compatible? Or is there a specific year usdm diff I can source parts from? (02-07 wrx?) My local Subaru dealer cant/won't help since it's a JDM drivetrain.

Next question is there seems to be a plate with 4-5 bolts that the seal is in. Do I have to remove that in order to swap the seal out?

Thanks!

All seals on the r160 are the same size for diff stubs. I'm sure they changed when they went to female fittings for the drive shaft. 

You shpuldnt have to remove anything other than the driveshaft and seal to replace it. 

Cheers

Bennie

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

All seals on the r160 are the same size for diff stubs. I'm sure they changed when they went to female fittings for the drive shaft. 

You shpuldnt have to remove anything other than the driveshaft and seal to replace it. 

Cheers

Bennie

Thank you sir!

For the female fittings, are those the newer 2014+ subarus? I just need to make sure, my local subaru dealer obviously cant help since the jdm equivalent is not in there system,  and I can't return or exchange the part. The parts guy at the dealership told that the passenger and driver side seal are different? If so, this is a stupid question, since mine is a right hand drive, do I use the udsm left driver side seal on my right driver side diff? 

Edited by Ultimatewarrior

Diff seals are typically different in that they're directional dependant and they'll be marked rhs or lhs.

Im not up with the specifics of the later setup and the seals used. To me it's a bit early for those seals to be leaking. Are the CV clipped in properly?

Cheers

Bennie

14 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Diff seals are typically different in that they're directional dependant and they'll be marked rhs or lhs.

Im not up with the specifics of the later setup and the seals used. To me it's a bit early for those seals to be leaking. Are the CV clipped in properly?

Cheers

Bennie

To be honest I dont know if they are clipped in properly. The mechanic I brought it to looked at it but didnt say anything about the axle itself. The mechanic said he will leave the diff bolted on and just remove the lateral link bolt and I think he said the 2 strut bolts to access it. 

Ive been searching online I found 2 sets of part numbers. 806732210/806732220 (32x50x11) and 806732200 (32x52x11)  not sure which one to get?

Edit: this r160 is a non type r/RA if that matters.

Edited by Ultimatewarrior