Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings

Hey!  I'm new to the forum, as well as Subaru ownership.  As my profile says, I have the worst luck in the world with cars, but I try.  I'd been told "buy a Subaru.  They're super-reliable!", so I did.  It made it less than 6 months before having big problems including stranding my family and me in WV on the way home from FL.  I'm not a mechanic, but try to do as much as I can myself, as I really have car problems enough to keep me from ever being able to afford my car problems.  

Recently, my 2008 Outback 2.5L SOHC started misfiring.  I went to Advance Auto Parts and had them pull the codes.  It had P0102, P0113, P0303, and P0301.  I found out the P0113 and P0102 were about the MAF sensor, so I picked up some cleaner and cleaned it, and I replaced the spark plugs.  It was still misfiring, but it seems to be just on cylinder 3 now.  I went to a mechanic friend who hooked it up for full diagnostics, checked for sparks on all four plug wires/coils, and, after showing consistent misfires on cylinder 3, gave me his best advice, which was to replace the coil pack.  I replaced it, and it's still misfiring.  He advised that the bad coil may have burnt the plug out, so I tried replacing those again, as well as the wires.  Still misfiring.  When the plug from cylinder 3 was removed, it smelled heavily of gas and showed no blackening from ignition that the other 3 are showing.  So, after replacing the coil pack, spark plug wires, and plugs, I still have a consistent misfire on 3.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on with this?

• 2 weeks later...