Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 impreza obs, engine no good

I've recently acquired a 98 impreza outback sport that had an oil leak.  After tearing down the engine it looks like the block is unusable, no threads on one headbolt hole, cracked into water or oil area.  Opposite head bolt snapped off, looks like they put some type of dry powder in it to stop leaks.  One head has very discolored exhaust valves.  It might be okay, but at this point I'm cutting my losses and looking to put in another engine.

The original one looks like an EJ22 MAF version, no EGR.  Heads are external headbolts, single port exhaust.  Has the newer style tensioner on the block.  There's a local place which stocks jdm EJ20 sohc engines and I'm wondering if these would work.  They all seem to be the internal headbolts heads.  Will these newer ones work?

• nvu changed the title to 98 impreza obs, engine no good, would a jdm ej20 sohc work?

The good news is that a 2.2 is the best subaru engine to buy USED. You've seen this site? http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

You can use  the earlier '90-'95 too...just need a dual-port header pipe....and re-use your IM / intake manifold.

I have bumped into a couple of fitment issues w/the PS bracket and maybe the AC/Alternator bracket - get both (and keep your newer Knock sensor, too).

I wouldn't unless it's getting close to 200K, but that's just a #.

Plan on full tbelt +idlers, etc, WP, reseal the Oil pump w/new crank seal and o-ring, cam seals (?), rear separator plate (swap to metal if it's plastic), rear main is usually  not an issue. 

If you have to swap intakes, get IM gaskets, and I'd also put in a new oil pressure sensor/sender.

Adjust the valves if it's a '97 or '98 w/the SLA...might want to bleed the HLA's if it's been sitting.

New NGK coppers are cheap.

Plus whatever else you find recommended on here/online.

Edited by wtdash

• nvu changed the title to 98 impreza obs, engine no good