Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thrust side must alter left to right case?

I am reading piston ring install instructions advising ring gaps not be on thrust side.

If our boxers operate clockwise from front thrust is said to be left side of bore

So...this would make 1 & 3 thrust side the lower side of bore/piston and top side for 2 & 4 ?

Correct?

I would assume that because the of the position and the firing of the spark plugs from the top - 

the thrust side would be on the bottom for all bores / pistons.

But not sure considering the clockwise rotation thing and the difference between left and right sides , if any ????

I would still position the ring gaps as per the diagrams as we have previously discussed in the manuals.

None of the gaps are are positioned  directly near the bottom or top sides.

30 degrees below / above the centre line (either side ) is far enough away from the thrust areas,  top or bottom,  in my considered opinion.

/ 

Edited by subnz
correction omission addition

Yes. Agreed. Although been running EA82 12 years this is my first rebuild on one. Done a few EA81 and other non boxers. The instructions on box of rings sort of comes into too much info . Four points all 30° off midline all makes sense

Had a look at the gaps of pistons and rings that came out. They didn't stay at 30° 

Thanks for your lone input