Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat shifter neutral resting spot

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the neutral resting spot of a 4 speed manual brat. When the shifter is in neutral where should it be? Mine is between 3rd and 4th all the way over to the right. So basically I don’t need to pull the shifter to the right at all. I just need to move it straight up for 3rd or straight down for 4th. I thought it should be right in the middle between 1-3 and 2-4. Should the shifter handle be offset like this? It looks weird leaning to the right. 

Thank you I’m advance

As far as the shifter slop, for me the issue wasn't the bushings where the shifter mounts to the linkage like in the link above, but where the trans rod mounts to the linkage with a roll pin. I did this mod to fix it, worked like magic. http://www.indysworld.com/subaru/general/USRM/mick-usrm/ea81-shifter-fix/EA81ShifterFix.html

I'm looking for a 5 speed D/R to swap also, old subaru's in Utah junkyards are hard to find - anyone know a good source to buy one?

I dont know about the 4 speed but there is supposedly a spring on the 5 speed to keep it central.  mine broke a while ago and I havent fixed it yet to see the specifics.  might be worth a look or someone who knows for sure can chime in.