Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As the title states I finished my swap in a tow away 98 subaru legacy Outback limited with automatic transmission that I got and everything seems to be good right now except it appears I'm running in FWD mode. I'm in the process of hunting down the cause. Anyone ever repair an AWD failure or is the common answer to replace it? This is my 3Rd subaru but the first with an automatic transmission and let me tell you I'm not impressed.

Edited by Toadspit

no but it does come on when I insert a fuse into the socket on the firewall.

I ran out to the a local lake tonight with lots of dirt roads and when I crossed a dirt intersection the front wheels just spun like a front wheel drive. I don't have much history on it since I purchased it from A guy on the internet

These are 80% FWD. They have to sense slip before they will transfer power. Could also have a transfer clutch issue, etc. Pull the TCS codes, or pull off the transfer clutch housing and have a look. 

FWIW the auto transmission is FAR superior to the 5MT. Much smarter, more reliable, and no clutch the wear out. If properly maintained they are lightyears ahead of the manual.

GD

yeah it might be working but just kind of delayed.

1.  make sure the driveshaft and axles are all in place.  i'm sure they are but hey i've converted subaru's to FWD before and it's confused shops until they figure that out. 

2. check/change ATF

+1 to what GD said.  no clutch maintenance, no synchro's wearing out, no input shaft bearings failing, and much easier to work around if there are 4WD control issues verses the MT's "instantly" locked failed viscous couplers.  they go 200,000+ miles all day long on nothing but fluid changes.  and you can add a "locked 4WD" switch easily, takes like 5 minutes.  

as a matter of fact you could "test" the 4WD that way - cut power to the Duty C solenoid.  if it is then "locked", then you know it's operational, if a little delayed/lagging. 

then just install a switch and you've got "delayed AWD" and "locked 4WD" at the press of a button (flick of a switch).  i do this to mine even when they're perfectly operational for better offroad/snow use.  I don't "wheel" my subaru but rather use my subaru for pulling out my tractor, dragging trees i've dropped, accessing my property, driving to my pond, hunting, daily driving, etc. 

• 1 month later...

So... I still haven't had a chance to fix the AWD  issue but now I have a new problem. I'm getting a tapping noise between the engine and the transmission. At first it was only while it was in gear and it fades away once the car gets over 3 or 5 mph or so. It now makes the noise in Park also but still goes away.

I'm pretty sure it's a bad torque converter.  I'm kind of in a bind at this time because I've found them for between $250 and $800. I could probably afford the $200 one but then that messes up my plan to go help my mom with badly needed repairs on the family farm. My dad just passed away about a month ago so there is nobody there to help my mom finish the projects and repairs that dad started and some he never got around to. 

I'm not looking for free but if anyone runs across a torque converter that will fit my 98 legacy Outback please post here to let me know.

Once again I'm not throwing some sob story looking for free parts. I can pay for the part.

Guess I should also post in the parts section of the site

Any chance you could leg it to your mum's place in the subi, then do the work on your car once at the farm with the readily available parts aquired?

This way you can help your mum then sort your subi - if the travel gamble pays off.

Or see if you can get the vehicle transported to near your mum's where you can then drive a shorter distance from there.

Of course these ideas are easier said than done...

Cheers

Bennie

I'm still thinking seriously about just driving it out there but I might have found a decent price on the torque converter as soon as I can verify the measurement between the bolts. I was unaware there would be two different ones available listed for the same car