Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dashboard

Hello everyone,

My brat has a perfect blue dashboard. And I would like to keep it that way. Most of the older Subaru’s out there the dash’s are all cracked and destroyed. I have been reading things that Armor All is not good for the dash but can’t believe everything you read. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use on the dash to protect it and preserve it? Maybe I will get a dash carpet mat also.

thank you

Hello. 

I have a dash matt on the way. I have a tan interior and the matt orderd is black and cut to fit my dash. My cars DLs interior if 95% good with the exception of a couple cracks on the dash. I decided the dash matt would be the best solution to cover up cracks. I will let you know how the dash matt looks when i get it in. Anyway i believe covering up the dash would be the better way to go. 

I've always wondered about using furniture polish. Haven't tried it though. 

So far I've only used a leather cleaner & conditioner on it. Yes, I know it's vinyl but the stuff works well.

Personally, I don't like the idea of covering up the vinyl. I don't have a specific reason for that.

Never have used armor-all on any of my dashboards, don't trust the long term effects of it, plus it attracts lots of hair for the next few weeks,

My dad used to use Automatic Transmission Fluid as an Armor All substitute back in the early 70's while he owned a car lot to make the vehicles more attractive when selling them...  :P

there is one called 303 ? supposed to have anti UV stuff. need to apply then buff the heck out of it to remove it.

I have scored two perfect dash tops from wreckers over the years - figured the best thing to preserve them was a few years layers of dust  :)

I hate dash mats - why have something cover something you want to see - only to hand it to the next owner with no cracks ??

20 hours ago, Jmpjose said:

Hello. 

I have a dash matt on the way. I have a tan interior and the matt orderd is black and cut to fit my dash. My cars DLs interior if 95% good with the exception of a couple cracks on the dash. I decided the dash matt would be the best solution to cover up cracks. I will let you know how the dash matt looks when i get it in. Anyway i believe covering up the dash would be the better way to go. 

Thank you. Did you buy the original DashMat?

Dash mat for me - or an appropriately shaped towel... Or some choice "borrowed" bar mats appropriately arranged...

But I stop before cardboard cut out - that's just nasty!

Keeping the car covered and out of the sun as much as possible is the best method but not always practical. 

Dash mats can be removed for a show etc to bring your A game with the least amount of work on your dashboard - just saying ;)

Cheers

Bennie

I've always used armour all. It's got a UV protectant in it.

It's the UV component of sunlight that degrades plastic and makes it brittle and crumbly.

Once its weak then the heat / cold cycles typically found inside a car will expand and contract the weakened plastic making it crack.

Also recommend dark window tinting if you live in a warm climate to reduce in cabin temps.

Cheers.

For the blue interior dashmat makes a Navy and a Dashboard blue. At first I thought the Navy would be good now I think it’s to dark and the dash blue is better. Does anyone have any experience with what blue is a closer match? I’m also deciding between the carpet or velour.....