Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback XT exhaust question

I'm having an issue with rusty "flanges" and leaks. Any sources for exhaust components and or your experiences with these turbo exhaust?

05 XT wagon Turbo

Can Forester and WRX parts be used on this car?

Thanks Todd

The Forester and WRX will likely be similar but too short and the exhaust hangers won't match up. 

Here's one on ebait, depending on what all you need.

Depending on TX emission rules/regs you can have a local shop redo the whole thing, too.

If the Cats need replaced you can find those online, too. Don't go to the dealer for exhaust stuff unless your heart medication is working well. :-)

Edited by wtdash

Yes, the exhaust parts are crazy at dealers!  We really need the front downpipe, (Next to turbo) and the midpipe/cat. (In front of the ebay part you sent). We found a really nice front downpipe from a manual XT and we "think" that will also work on the automatic. Your thought?

Did some online looking, as I was curious and this site shows the downpipe/DP called a 'center pipe' (item #10) ??? Hmmm....

Anyway, that part is specific to the '05 OB.  I'd do some more comparisons on that Subaru link above to see what parts from a newer OBXT may interchange, too.

It shows that the 5-speed vs. Automatics are different...and the 5-speed version is Disco'd!

Here's a used one online for $250.

However, I'd head over to 'subaruoutback.org' or to Legacygt.com and see what others have done for exhaust options. Likely you can find what will interchange or a better upgrade option.

If you didn't already know ......If you do get the idea to upgrade your exhaust for better performance - especially the DP - you'll want to get your car tuned for that. I'd recommend a tune anyway, but that may be hard to come by in 'truckland TX'.