Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to figure out whats going on with my 1993 Legacy wagon. It has always been a champ and turn key starter even on days of -20 and below, but lately something has been going on. I tried to start it a week ago and it wouldn't start, i checked the terminals (tight) but no power, so I tried jumping it with no success. Took the battery out and had it charged/tested, which it passed as good (it will be 2yrs old in OCT). I threw the battery back in the wagon and it fired right up. 3 days later, no power. I removed my alternator and had it tested, which it passed. Starter, passed. Charged up the battery, fired it up, and three days later - again no juice. I have no clue what the problem might be. Any ideas?

Thanks

Is the starter clicking?

Do the headlights work when the starter does Not?

Along with what the others have said the starter main contacts are prone to wear.  When the main contacts within the starter are not good, no power is getting to the starter motor.  When it is NOT working, Read voltage under load - key in the start position at:

Battery + to ground

Starter + to ground

Starter Motor + to ground

Make sure all the grounds are clean and tight.  One fellow had a pitted ground at the rear engine negative ground wire and his car would not charge.  Fixed the ground and it was good as new.  He had put in 3 alternators.

• Like 2

Is the motor cranking, when you turn the key? If so, I would not think there is a problem with the battery or alternator. Like others, I think it is a cable problem, or a ground problem. Check conductivity on cable going from battery to starter, and everything going to ground.

if you hear a click, but there's no cranking, probably need to rebuild the Denso starter's solenoid. The contacts become intermittent. You can get contacts only, or plunger-contact kits and DIY it. Pretty sure there are youtube videos for the process. very common on older cars.

Starter may pass a test because it's intermittent. Some folks can have a failed start, whack the starter with a chunk of wood, re-try and start the car.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1